Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #1 
ricepattyfish5

To Breed or Not to Breed??

Hello all!!! Now, if we do decide to breed, it won't be for a while. But if we do. we are going to breed our male elephant ear. What kind of female should we pick and what are the steps we need to take and the set up we need to ensure that both male and female survive as well as all of the fries??? Any help would be great!! Here is a picture of our elephant ear!!
Attached Images

ricepattyfish5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Holy type dye I love him!

When thinking about making babies one must always figure out what they are going to do with these babies. You need to have a solid way to get rid of around 30 babies and make sure you have a separate tank for the babies, then one for each baby as they get older. Be a prepared parent.

Well the female should definitely be elephant ear just to avoid mutations, the color of the female is up to you! Assume the babies will be half dad colored and half mom colored, so if you bred with a red female the babies would be red faced and bottomed with touches of blue in their bodies and fins (maybe)
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #3 
snowflake311

That boy has awesome color I can see why you want to breed him. I would look on Aquabid and buy another Big ear from a breeder make sure the female you pick has GREAT Form mainly a nice straight top line and good fins.

Your males topline is not great. His pectorals are very nice big and round they look even on both sides. that is what you want in a big ear.

breeding is a lot of work, money, and time. In the end if you did a good job it can be very rewarding.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote