Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Question Evaporation Techniques

I'm curious to see how everyone handles evaporation from their tanks. My 10 gallon especially loses quite a bit of water between changes (especially if I only do every two week changes instead of weekly). My other tanks usually aren't that bad but if I get down on my water changes I notice evap. with them too.

So how to you handle evaporation? Do you just do top offs between changes or do you cover your tanks somehow?

I'm thinking of trying putting plastic wrap over my 10 gallon, just leaving 2 inches of space along the front of the tank so I can open the hood and feed through. I think that would help keep the water in better and make it nice and humid for the fish.

Of course if you have small tanks and do weekly changes you probably don't have to worry about evap. but those of you with 10 gallon tanks and larger probably deal with evap. at some point during the year.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

I change water so often in all my aquariums that any evaporation going on is hardly noticeable.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #3 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
I change water so often in all my aquariums that any evaporation going on is hardly noticeable.
Same, I do a water change twice every week on my 12 gall the same on my 2.4. I never even thought about evaporation but I like your idea with the cling film, I think that would work well =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

With all the tanks I have I don't have time to do multiple water changes on tanks that don't really need them. So my 10 gallon goes with either weekly or every two week water changes and my 4 gallon gets weekly as well. Those are the two tanks I see evap from. Not very much but enough to annoy me LOL

If my 6 gall only had one fish in it I would only do weekly's on that but I decided to divide it so it needs bi-weekly changes because its a little over stocked.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

It is my opinion that all aquariums NEED frequent water changes. Weekly changes are, in my opinion, a bare minimum...but more is always better. Biweekly just isn't enough. Even in large aquariums, changing 50% of the water every week is a reasonable goal. Personally, I change 20% every other day. 2, 3, 4 or more aquariums...it shouldn't matter. If I can't keep up with water changes, I have too many aquariums.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

I don't see the point in cycling a tank and adding plants if you still have to change the water so frequently. As long as you have proper aeration and your numbers are where they should be I don't see the point in doing multiple water changes. If I was going to do multiple water changes a week I wouldn't have spent $30, 40, 150 on planting and cycling the tank.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #7 
Mister Sparkle

An uncycled tank is a dead one. That's beside the point. The effect of live plants on filtration is near-negligible. Filtration is best viewed as a means of keeping water somewhat clean between water changes. Water changes can make up for insufficient filtration, but no amount of filtration can make up for neglecting water changes.

1- water changes improve fish's resistance to exposures to disease and infection.

2- water changes replenish your water's alkalinity, preventing occurrences of massive pH-drop and a crash of your entire biological filter...aka "OLD tank syndrome"!

3- Chemicals like phosphates build up over time, and cycling does nothing to remove it. These can be deadly, too!

4- Bad water can harm your fish significantly before you notice that something's wrong, while fresh water is never a bad thing.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #8 
Welsh

I know its difficult to spare time to clean numerous tanks, man I struggle with 2 but bad water conditions can cause your fish to get ICK/ICH and other nasty diseases. It doesnt matter if your water prams are where they are or if you have filteration, your fish will still be swimming around in their own scuzz if you dont do regular water changes. I stress when I know I a water change is coming because I hate it so much but if its good for the fish and they dont end up dying its worth it IMO, even if its just a small water change, it will be better than them living in stale water. Its like us using bath water over and over again.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Let me set one thing straight right now. I do water changes. I've never gotten one single illness besides tail biting which is mostly psychological. There is no proof that doing weekly water changes versus doing two week changes on similar tanks has any effect on the longevity or health of the fish.

My water conditions are pristine. I test my water two or three times a week. Phosphates are not going to build up to dangerous proportions over a week.. because if so there would be dead fish left and right all over the world.

Now. This thread is about what you do to combat evaporation. Do not hijack it and turn it into a water change thread. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #10 
Welsh

We didn't mean to offend you or P**s you off, I guess we are just a little OCD when it comes to water changes, which can become a little obsessive. Like I said earlier, the cling film or plastic film I cant remember what you call it in the states, seems like a really good idea but wont the condensation make it sag into the water?