Betta Fish Forum banner

Dividers

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  pearlyfins 
#1 ·
Are dividers proper hopes for a ten gallon? how many Male betta fish can you house in a ten gallon?? basically how many Dividers shouyld i buy for a ten gallon...i have three bettas two males and one female...is that okay for a ten gallon?

very anxiouse to know thanks in advance...!!!:-D:-D

#3 ·
You can house 3 bettas in a 10 gallon. Personally I would not divide it any more than that but some people do divide it into 4 sections. Its a matter of opinion.

If you want to put three bettas in the tank your going to need 2 dividers. I highly suggest you also buy aquarium silicon and glue the dividers in place so you know your fish won't be able to get through to the other side.

#4 ·
This is a great set up,.... I have it!! My 10 gallon is divided into 3 sections and houses 2 male bettas and one male sunset honey gourami. (the bettas on the ends and the gourami in the middle) They are all very happy and healthy. I am surprised at how well the set up has worked. My bettas are convinced that the gourami is a female betta! They flare and build huge bubble nests. It's rather cute. The gourami is every bit as sociable as the bettas,... sometimes more so!! And he seems to rather enjoy his flaring neighbors. :-D

I started out like you with 2 male bettas and one female betta. Sadly my female died about a week after I bought her. :( I had placed her in the middle condo. If I could do it over again I would have put her on one of the ends and then made sure that there were A LOT more plants at the divider so that neither male or female could see a lot of each other.

In my case,... my males flared, but never seemed stressed. The female could really care less about the males,.... but I think that having her in the middle with a male on either side was too much for her. :-?

Good luck in setting up your tank,.... I think you will love it! I know I do! :)

#9 ·
This is a great set up,.... I have it!! My 10 gallon is divided into 3 sections and houses 2 male bettas and one male sunset honey gourami. (the bettas on the ends and the gourami in the middle) They are all very happy and healthy. I am surprised at how well the set up has worked. My bettas are convinced that the gourami is a female betta! They flare and build huge bubble nests. It's rather cute. The gourami is every bit as sociable as the bettas,... sometimes more so!! And he seems to rather enjoy his flaring neighbors. :-D

I started out like you with 2 male bettas and one female betta. Sadly my female died about a week after I bought her. :( I had placed her in the middle condo. If I could do it over again I would have put her on one of the ends and then made sure that there were A LOT more plants at the divider so that neither male or female could see a lot of each other.

In my case,... my males flared, but never seemed stressed. The female could really care less about the males,.... but I think that having her in the middle with a male on either side was too much for her. :-?

Good luck in setting up your tank,.... I think you will love it! I know I do! :)

the second comment if for you...

well i have the two males and one female... i want to put the female in the middle but according to YOU did you have any problems with her in the middle??

some advice wanted;)

#6 ·
Well,.... I did the research on the honey gourami before I went and bought one and everything I read said that their max size was 2" He is just over an inch right now. He is a young guy. Each fish currently has their own 3 gallon tank basically. One of my male bettas is getting to be an old man and when he passes (hopefully not for a long while yet),... I will remove one of the dividers and give my remaining young crowntail, and the gourami each their own 5 gallon space. ;)

#8 ·
In this case, it isn't the size of the fish (oxygen-exchange @ water surface) that is so important. I would consider 10 gallons to be the minimum, based on the most reliable available literature. But 5, I suppose, would be better than 3.

i have 2 comments one is for you...but anyway right now i have each betta in a 1 liter tank and i cannot live with it it just looks like torture to them and i have to give them at least 3 gallons because i told myself that that would be their temporary home but i have to go to wal-mart and get more than 5 dividers...!!!NOT TO PUT IN A 10 GALLON TANK... just for future references..

#11 ·
If you really want her in the middle space that should work out just fine. As mentioned,.... place lots of tall plants by the divider to block some of their view, and just make sure that female has a hidey hole for some quiet retreat time. ;) Congratulations,.... I think you will really like this setup. It's easy to clean, easy to heat, and easy to filter.

#12 ·
sounds good thank you very much i hope it comes out great all i have to do is go to wal-mart and buy some dividers.. i will let you know how it goes when i get them:) thanks again

#15 ·
Hmm,... I'm confused! lol My DHG is in perfect health. His colors are rich and vibrant, he is very active, and he eats like a little oinker. The tank he shares is heated to a constant 80 degrees, it's filtered, aireated, and filled with healthy live plants!! I guess I am failing to see why there is such a horrible problem. Yes, his condo in the divided 10 gallon is only 3 gallons,.... however he seems very happy and there are zero signs of any stress. I, (like all of you) always want the best for my finned friends and would never intentionally create a poor environment for them. I spent several days doing research on this particular gourami and I built his 3 gallon condo to suit HIS needs,... heavily planted with a broken clay pot hidey hole.

#16 ·
OK. I believe that you researched, and also that your current situation is thus far successful. I've done quite a bit with gouramis myself, and I would like to know where your research led you to a 3-gallon size minimum for the honeys. Mine were downright mopey in a 5-gallon, and in fact didn't even appear content until I moved them to the 15G! I don't think I've ever run into anyone who successfully kept them in less than 10 gallons, and I don't know of any literature that suggests 3-gallons as sufficient.

Believe me, if your fish is happy and healthy, I'm no one to argue. Your experience is new to me...that's all!

#17 ·
I will have to go back to the web and find that website. I never bookmark anything!! lol

If my honey is an exception to the rule, then I am happy. He could be so active because of his fiesty neighbors. I was fully well expecting (again from web research) for him to be shy and hide a lot. But he has not been that way since day one. He is very sociable when I go to the tank. Almost like a betta,... always wanting to know what you're doing. He is getting so close to being hand fed! I am very excited about that! :-D This is my first experience with any type of gourami and so far it has turned out to be a great one! These little guys have certainly become one of my favorites.

When I move out of this tiny place I call a home, I plan to have a 30 gallon community tank with a few more of these wonderful little fish!! I am thinking a couple of girly girls will suit my male nicely!

#18 ·
No, I dug through the ol' library last night. This takes a while, as I've accumulated quite a few books over the years. I actually did find two books that give 5-gallons as the minimum. And I hold the authors of these books in very high regard. Yet, everyone seems to agree that the fish seem to do better and better the more space they have.

Long story short...your plans for the honey gourami to have one-half of a divided 10-gallon aquarium are reconciled with respectable, authoritative available literature. So, there you have it! You're OK, and I was overestimating the "minimum" by a factor of 100%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.