Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #1 
HammerBetta

Question Breeding different tail types & spawn question

I have a gorgeous dragon DoubleTail that actually looks like he has some crowntail in him (he's not a tail nipper but he has the points on his rays instead of rounding).

After years of research & having a thriving sorority tank & a collection of males my overall collection has settled down to my current one beautiful double tail male AND I finally have the right set up for a breeding pair.

I've always had crowntail females so I'm wondering what a DoubleTail/Crowntail spawn would look like? (For some reason BettySplendens isn't working). I'm wanting to breed for the red & silver traits.

What do you all do with your fry? I know a couple nice mom & pop shops that we used to sell our feeding mice/rats to that would probably buy or take bettas, but depending on how big the fry is will depend if they can take them all.
HammerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah BettySplendens never renewed her site, basically she stopped paying for it so it's not working any more I wish I had saved all the info on word docs or something.

With DT/CT cross you'd get a whole range of things including regular DT's and CT's and some DTCT mixes. You'd get varying web reduction but with careful breeding you could reduce the webbing to make a more proper DTCT, it will take a few generations and careful preceeding but it can happen! Chard66 is currently working on some DTCT's and had a few up on aquabid a while ago.

As for red a 'silver', that would be Copper so depending on your males color I would try to find a copper CT female with very good web reduction and even reduction all around the fins. Like this girl here

EDIT: found one of chard's DTCT's http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sdt&1390519204 notice how the ray's seem small, still lots of membrane between the rays so eventually over a few generations you want to keep trying to reduce it to make it look more like a CT with two lobes for the tail.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #3 
HammerBetta

Love that fish!!! I was able to find the perfect female today. Great web reduction, although she is red fin white body, I think she'll silver out as she gets older.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #4 
HammerBetta

Sorry, my female is cambodian with spots around her head. I've been living in a dayquil daze for the past week due to fever/cold/bronchitis.

New question: What would I get if I bred a cambodian CT with a black/green rays CT?
He caught my eye yesterday, sadly I'd have to figure out space for him. The even sadder part is that he looks like he's starting to get dropsy. Big belly & scales are just a tiny bit pineconed.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #5 
isntanything

Just so you know, you can access Betty Splendens via the Wayback Machine

http://web.archive.org/web/201207261...icles/home.imp

Once it's on the internet, it stays on the internet.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #6 
HammerBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by isntanything View Post

I didn't know that trick! Perfect! Thank you
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #7 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by isntanything View Post

*bows down and worships* I shall appreciate this information forevermore.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Take a look at this thread. I made a punnet square on DT X CT (bottom of post #4).

As for cambodian x green - the probability may be a wide range of colors/patterns - cambodian pattern but with irid wash on body and fin, grizzle, cellophane, irid color with red fins.

I'm not sure what you mean by green/black, but I'm guessing the black is too recessive to really effect fry. Perhaps few will show black markings - not sure.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #9 
HammerBetta

I found a very strong CT male, making bubblenests and everything in his container. His tank is getting ready at the moment. He has blood red fins & a very dark blue body. Sadly the black/green CT wasn't there.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #10 
HammerBetta

These are my two males. The CT needs to gain a little weight & I think he has ick on his fins so he's getting salt & melafix to hopefully get him feeling better. Opie seems to really hate the camera so getting a picture of him is not easy! Sorry about the messy hamster cage in the back, gotta clean that today!
Attached Images