Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #1 
brancasterr

Lighting for fish

I have a 10 gallon that I'm about to stock and an wondering how many hours per day should I leave the light on for my fishies. Is it alright to leave it on for extended hours some days? Or does it even matter? Should I put them on a schedule or what?
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #2 
xxabc

Mine is hardly the exact same time every day. Sometimes its 8, sometimes its 12, sometimes its 6. I would aim for 10 if you have a better schedule.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #3 
Kittles

From what I've heard, some sort of light schedule is good for your fish, however, I don't think it's anything to be too strict about. Keeping your light on too long, however, will promote more algae growth which I'm assuming nobody wants. That said, I leave mine on for about 8 hours a day.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

Some fish can't stand bright light, and some are sensitive to how long the lights are on. Lucky for you, Bettas aren't one of them! 8)
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #5 
Welsh

I dont think it matters, the fish will be fine with the natural light if they are near a window. I tend to get up at 8 put the light on and then knock it off when I go to bed about 2am. OMG, thats such a long time, the light is more on than off lol.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

If you have plants versus if you don't makes a difference IMO. In my unplanted tanks I shoot for about 8 hours of aquarium light a day (with room light another 2-4 hours). In my planted tank I leave the lights on about 10-12 hours a day.

Also watch out for your wpg. I just found out recently that the fact that the wattage on the lamp on my 4 gall was so high was causing my plants to melt. So I keep the light off longer on that tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #7 
Kittles

From what I understand, bettas don't like to be kept in direct sunlight, so keeping them in a window may not be the best option.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I keep two of my tanks next to a window (for now) and I haven't seen any problems. But then again mine don't get direct light, I usually don't open the blinds until late afternoon when the sun is already on the other side of the building.

I think the main concern with bettas being near windows is the temperature swing (which I haven't seen in my tanks).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote