Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #1 
Starbright

Will it be okay to add my female betta to my community?

So I'm almost completely convinced that I want to add a female betta to my 10 gallon community. I searched online to make sure it'd be okay, but all I got was the typical answers such as "Get 2 females" or "no they'll kill all your fish"... thanks yahoo answers

Anyways here's the issue!

I have a golden dojo loach (not fully grown yet). I know they're cold water fish, but they're pretty indestructible ._. he's been doing great in my tropical. Anyways, would my female betta be okay with him? That and 3 (male) platies. I heard that female bettas tend to get aggressive with platies since their body shapes are similar.

Also, Petco has teenie tiny female betta fish! Should I get a small young one or a matured one?

Btw, once my dojo outgrows my tank, my marine biology teacher said he'd gladly take him! He has a 60 gallon goldfish tank in his classroom

Thanks for the help!
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #2 
Jupiter

I'm keeping my sorority in a 15 gallon tank with a couple of guppies and platies, and my girls love it! Whenever I go, there are never any problems. And my dad has never called to complain that my females are bullying them, so I take it as a good sign.

But some people have had bad experiences with platies. I think it really depends on the personality of your fish.

Not sure about the Dojo Loach, as I've never had a cold water tank before.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #3 
Welsh

Why don't you float her in a bag or cup first then when you decide to add her, watch carefully for any aggressive behaviour if you don't think she is going to get along with teh others then take her back out. I say the only way you will ever know is if you try =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #4 
Starbright

Thanks guys! I actually went out and bought her! I'm making a new thread in the pics section! :D
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote