Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #1 
Terranariko

Soon to have a betta...Kinda worried.

I'm going to get a betta fish soon, I have to get the tank first though no real suprise there. I'm not getting a really small tank don't worry, it's a good size for a betta fish, and it comes complete with bedding(the bedding is a purple color...will that effect the betta?), plants, filter(I think it's not a rough filter...so it wont move the water to much), food, and some other stuff. Hopefully it will be enough, I've never had a betta fish before...I'm kinda scared it dies on like the next day...I hope not...I live in canada too...so the water might be colder then normal for the fish...that is what I'm afraid it will die from, I'm not sure if the tank comes with a heater, I'll have to check that when I get it...then again the betta fish in the store are with out a heater, they also live in these tiny little box's for tanks...I'm sure no matter how bad I'll be as a rookie, it will be a lot better then it was before at the shop...I think.

When I do get the fish, I'll try to get a blue betta fish I love those colors the most in a betta fish, their so pretty and graceful aren't they? I'm not quite sure how long I should wait after getting the tank...isn't it a week normally? to allow the filter or something to prepare the water?

Besides that, I've even come up with a name for him when I get it, If it's blue like I want, I'll name him Berry. Silly I know, but it is cute no?

I've been so paranoid from this, I've been researching and researching info on betta fish trying to get more prepared. I think I know most of the basic things I need to know. Other then that I really can't wait to get him, but I'll make sure the tank is nice before I get the fish of course.
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Welcome to the forum!
The necesary things you need for a betta are a suitable tank (2.5 gallons and higher) and weak filter, if you decide to (I don't use one, and I just do water changes every other day.) a heater (which is essential.) Even though the bettas in the pet stores live in those teeny cups without heaters, you still need one. The cups barely provide any swimming room for the bettas and the water (from what I've seen) is generally cold. You will also need a thermometer to measure the temperature. I live in Canada too, and I have a heater. Plants for the betta to hide in (fake or silk.) gravel (purple will be fine.) and a few hidey holes.
make sure you wash everything thouroughly before you add it to the tank! and make sure to cycle the tank for a week or two, or at least 4 days- that makes bacteria grow so the water will be better. You can also take your water in for a free testing in the pet store, but I'm not sure if that is accurate or not.

Don't be scared! It's fun, you get addicted after a while :)

Don't be surprised if you don't get a blue betta- I went to the pet store looking for a yellow one and ended up with a green guy. The bettas more pick you than you pick them ;)

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-05-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Welcome to the forum!
The necesary things you need for a betta are a suitable tank (2.5 gallons and higher) and weak filter, if you decide to (I don't use one, and I just do water changes every other day.) a heater (which is essential.) I live in Canada too, and I have a heater. Plants for the betta to hide in (fake or silk.) gravel (purple will be fine.) and a few hidey holes.
make sure you wash everything thouroughly before you add it to the tank! and make sure to cycle the tank for a week or two, or at least 4 days- that makes bacteria grow so the water will be better. You can also take your water in for a free testing in the pet store, but I'm not sure if that is accurate or not.

Don't be scared! It's fun, you get addicted after a while :)
Thanks, I know I need a weak filter and most likely a heater, and I'm gonna try to get all sorts of plants and hideing places, also I think the tank I'm getting is around...10-15-20 gallons...I forgot how big it was, but it is a lot bigger then "normal" betta tanks of 1-2 gallons. He'll have tons of space to swim and hide and stuff.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

Awesome, 10-20 gallons is perfect! It sounds like he'll have a nice home :)
Do you have any other questions? We're all here to help.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-05-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #5 
Terranariko

Quote:
Awesome, 10-20 gallons is perfect! It sounds like he'll have a nice home :)
Do you have any other questions? We're all here to help.
Noting much to ask, I'm more on worried mode right now. Will it die if the water even gets a little bit cold?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

No, it won't lol.
Don't worry so much, bettas are very hardy fish, and don't die easily.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #7 
Terranariko

Quote:
No, it won't lol.
Don't worry so much, bettas are very hardy fish, and don't die easily.
Oh cool, I've also heard that they have a lot of personality...also when a male betta is happy and content it makes a bubble nest right? even when it's not spawning?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #8 
Betta Slave

Bettas have a ton of personality (some do, some don't.)
Yes, when males are happy, they make bubblenests- they can be huge! My Plakat made a bubblnest so bit it covered the entire top of his aquarium- I had to make a hole so i could feed him.
Did you draw that betta on your avatar? It's really cute. :)
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #9 
Terranariko

Quote:
Bettas have a ton of personality (some do, some don't.)
Yes, when males are happy, they make bubblenests- they can be huge! My Plakat made a bubblnest so bit it covered the entire top of his aquarium- I had to make a hole so i could feed him.
Did you draw that betta on your avatar? It's really cute. :)
Oh, I hope mine has a nice personality, XD

Also yes I did, I just drew it on paint noting to special.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #10 
Betta Slave

I've never had a betta with no personality- but people have had bettas with no personality apparently.
Are you hoping for any specific type of betta? There are tons out there.