Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #1 
Nikita

stress stripes.

what do stress stripes look like? if they are horizontal stripes that run all the way along the fish my Shere Kahn has them all the time, i'm worried, he has a ten gallon soon to be split into two 5 gallon segments, he has hidey spots and a heater and filter and he blows me nests. is he ok?
Nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #2 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
what do stress stripes look like? if they are horizontal stripes that run all the way along the fish my Shere Kahn has them all the time, i'm worried, he has a ten gallon soon to be split into two 5 gallon segments, he has hidey spots and a heater and filter and he blows me nests. is he ok?

Can you get a picture of them please?
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

This is the first picture I found. http://www.getahugetank.com/images/betta-female.jpg

You're right, stress stripes are horizontal stripes (vertical stripes are breeding stripes the females get). Could you take a picture of the tank so we could help you if you need more plants etc. Is his tank by the window or getting direct sunlight? Is he by anything that's "scary". Just think like a fish.haha :P
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #4 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post

if the stripes are horizontal then he is stressed.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #5 
Nikita

lol i just looked at him and they're gone, but my girl fishy i just happened to notice has breeding stripes and is fatter than i remember, dose that mean she will lay eggs? i don't have the equipment to be a fish mother.

his tank is not by the window , he has three hidy spots with more on the way and he has a filter, i can try to get pics up soon.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Don't worry, you won't be a fishy mom.lol She'll either reabsorb the eggs or release them.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

BFC is right she cannot take care of the eggs by herself well she cant take care of them at all.. any way i have a Question:

????when sadly she eats the eggs, are the eggs healthy for her????
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

They won't hurt her. :)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #9 
Nikita

lol ok, i brought my male with me to my grandma's house because i haven't been home consistantly in the past week and put both of their bowls by each other to see if they would get along and they are attacking the glass! dose that mean i can't put them in the same tank? i will be splitting my ten gallon and i hope they won't attack each other through the plastic canvas.... *fret fret*
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #10 
xxabc

Mine do. But it's really not a problem. They're fighting fish, so of course they fight each other if they see each other.

Mine see each other in the divided but it's no problem. There was a tailbiting issue, but never fret over it. If there is a tailbiting issue (from stress from seeing a male betta and not being able to attack), the first step is to simply put more plants against the divider as a physical means of blocking. Or just let them deal with it (i did this and it worked just fine), or buy a whole 'nother tank.

As long as they don't REALLY get to each other, i don't see a problem. Mine just recently resumed tailbiting, but I love him anyways, so I simply make sure he doesn't get fin rot from it.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote