Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #1 
Terranariko

Is it a good idea too...

The tank I'm getting for my first betta fish is around 2.5 gallons (I swear it was bigger then that when I saw it...looks can be tricky I guess...but it does seem to have good space for a betta. It does have a filter but no heater...I'm planing to get a heater later on though, it also comes with a kind of grass plant thats long, and some other things.)

And it comes with purple gravel but...later on I want to get glass pebbles because I find they look nicer and their big enough so there is no possiblity of him accidently swallowing one.

I'm wondering if any glass pebbles will do, and do they need to be from a pet shop? or could any glass pebbles work, like some at the dollar store or some store that sells them? Would it even be a good idea to put glass pebbles with betta fish?

And is it a good idea to put this kind of fabric flower with them? I saw some at the pet shop and I'm not sure if betta's work well with fabric flowers, their not plastic...it's a kind of fabric of sorts with a plastic stem.

Also for a hiding spot what would be a good choice? I've seen a lot of hiding spots at the pet shop but I can't seem to decided which one I should try and get for him.

Also do betta's really need light? or is the natural light in my room better? I don't think having those tank lights is a good idea...it's not natural to be in light 24/7...

Sorry if this seems annoying...just trying to get the tank right for my first betta fish.
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

2.5 gallons is fine for a betta. You will need a heater, so it's good that you're planning on getting one.

Gravel is fine, your betta shouldn't swallow it; but if you prefer the look of glass marbles then go with the glass marbles. I think a lot people find it easier to use the glass in a smaller tanks and gravel in larger tanks. As far as the source of the marbles goes...I'm not sure. I'd think they're pretty much the same from a pet store as they are from the dollar store. You should always rinse off any gravel/marbles you use anyway, so I'd say if you do get the marbles from the dollar store, soak them a little while and make sure the color doesn't leech into the water (though since it's glass I can't imagine it leeching) and if it doesn't you're probably safe.

Some plastic plants can rip bettas' fins but fabric plants are perfect. Get him at least a few, they love a lot of plant coverage.

Definitely get a hiding spot, as far as what you get, I'd say that's mostly up to personal preference. Just make sure it doesn't have anything too rough/sharp/jagged as that could cause fin damage, and make sure the hole/cave part is large enough for you to easily slide your thumb in and out of (bettas can get stuck in smaller holes.)

If you want to go with something cheap, I know a lot of people use small terra cotta pots from the craft store. Bettas love them and they look nice (if you go this route, just make sure to either bury the little hole in the bottom with your marbles or gravel, or seal the hole shut with sealant--bettas can get stuck in it.)

Make sure you keep your tank out of direct sunlight, it can cause temperature fluctuation, stress the betta and encourage algae growth. I don't know that an aquarium light is absolutely necessary, but I have read that bettas like the day/night cycles that a light can help simulate. Don't leave the aquarium light on 24/7. Leaving the light on too long can really promote algae growth. I think most people leave the light on for about eight hours a day, on average.

Make sure you always dechlorinate your water. And do frequent water changes since you have a smaller tank. Other than that, good luck!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #3 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
2.5 gallons is fine for a betta. You will need a heater, so it's good that you're planning on getting one.

Gravel is fine, your betta shouldn't swallow it; but if you prefer the look of glass marbles then go with the glass marbles. I think a lot people find it easier to use the glass in a smaller tanks and gravel in larger tanks. As far as the source of the marbles goes...I'm not sure. I'd think they're pretty much the same from a pet store as they are from the dollar store. You should always rinse off any gravel/marbles you use anyway, so I'd say if you do get the marbles from the dollar store, soak them a little while and make sure the color doesn't leech into the water (though since it's glass I can't imagine it leeching) and if it doesn't you're probably safe.

Some plastic plants can rip bettas' fins but fabric plants are perfect. Get him at least a few, they love a lot of plant coverage.

Definitely get a hiding spot, as far as what you get, I'd say that's mostly up to personal preference. Just make sure it doesn't have anything too rough/sharp/jagged as that could cause fin damage, and make sure the hole/cave part is large enough for you to easily slide your thumb in and out of (bettas can get stuck in smaller holes.)

If you want to go with something cheap, I know a lot of people use small terra cotta pots from the craft store. Bettas love them and they look nice (if you go this route, just make sure to either bury the little hole in the bottom with your marbles or gravel, or seal the hole shut with sealant--bettas can get stuck in it.)

Make sure you keep your tank out of direct sunlight, it can cause temperature fluctuation, stress the betta and encourage algae growth. I don't know that an aquarium light is absolutely necessary, but I have read that bettas like the day/night cycles that a light can help simulate. Don't leave the aquarium light on 24/7. Leaving the light on too long can really promote algae growth. I think most people leave the light on for about eight hours a day, on average.

Make sure you always dechlorinate your water. And do frequent water changes since you have a smaller tank. Other than that, good luck!
I think the tank comes with a dechlorinateing chemical for fish...so that is ok, also I'll try the dollar store glass pebbles...and I'll make sure to rise them very well and let them soak to make sure they don't leach.

Also I didn't mean in direct sunlight, the tank isn't gonna be infront of the window, so it shouldn't get a horrible amount of light, I may get a light later on if the tank is to dark in the day.

Also I may try a pot, could I just break the pot is half and set it down like that? instead of adding a whole pot?

I wonder what color of glass pebble I should get...I think a dark purple or blue...but if I can find clear glass I'll go for that.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

Sounds good. I think a lot of people use broken pots. Just be sure to sand down any rough/sharp edges.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #5 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Sounds good. I think a lot of people use broken pots. Just be sure to sand down any rough/sharp edges.
Now the only thing left is to get the tank, set it up, let it cycle, then most likely in a week get the fish, XD I hope they have nice fish when I go there...I asked the petshop person today when they get more betta fish and he said in 6 days.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Good luck. Post a picture or two when you get your new buddy home.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #7 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Good luck. Post a picture or two when you get your new buddy home.
I'll try to take pictures tommorow when I get it all set up...then the long and tedious waiting for cycleing and then finally the big day of going to get the fish...I might tryyy to get some pictures of what it's like in the petshop for them...it's kinda sad...
Old 05-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #8 
Starbright

It's pretty hard to cycle a 2.5 gallon :o With glass marbles, it'll be super easy to do 100% water changes! Gravel gets EVERYWHERE... but it's good in larger tanks since you can easily prod around while siphoning.

I can't wait to see your new fish in his/her new home! I'm looking forward to pictures :)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #9 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbright View Post
It's pretty hard to cycle a 2.5 gallon :o With glass marbles, it'll be super easy to do 100% water changes! Gravel gets EVERYWHERE... but it's good in larger tanks since you can easily prod around while siphoning.

I can't wait to see your new fish in his/her new home! I'm looking forward to pictures :)
Oh no...it's hard to do it? D= thats not good...wont the water hurt it if it doesn't cycle?

Also I'm planing on getting a male betta just to let you know.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #10 
LolaQuigs

It's hard for a 2.5 gallon tank to hold a cycle. But as long as you do frequent water changes your conditions will be fine without cycling.