Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #11 
Hadouken441

Kitty litter is amazing for plants. I just didnt do it haha.

I dont even bother with the whole stirring up thing. I have heard that fish die from it but I never stirred my sand up.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #12 
Tinthalas Tigris

It is a little ironic. The same local aquscape forum for southern california residents that I am a member of and read of instances using Kitty Litter with such great success, I posted I was using Kitty Litter in my new setup.

Almost immediately after posting, there were more responses on my one that kitty litter was a bad idea and that after 1 or two years it fails as a substrate (most responses insist that it will turn to muck), than there were in any of the existing praises that lead me to believe that I was making a good decision in choosing it.

So far my kitty litter tank is wonderful. Fish responding great, and an awesome anchor platform to shape the playsand above it without it settling forward against the hill I gave it. Exactly what I wanted out of it.

It is going to be about 2 more weeks before I can gauge any results against my rooted plants in the kitty litter than those I have left in the artificial gravel tank, but I am satisfied with the setup.

If it turns to muck in a year, or two years, I won't consider it a failure. I'll just have to start from scratch. It might be messy, but big deal. I take anything like that in stride and learn from it, and rebuild.

I do highly recommend the playsand for anyone interested in pursuing that sort of natural look.

It is extremely low budget, and very natural looking. Rinsing is the only very necessary thing to keep in mind.

A good power filter will clean up anything else that looks bad from dusty water rather quickly. So it is just important to keep an eye on the power filter if you don't rinse it enough and your water becomes cloudy; just maker sure to occaisonally (at least once a week) dismantle the filter, rinse it in changed aquarium water, give it a good scrubbing with a dedicated aquarium brush, and it will be fine. It might cut the light of the mechanical filter by a bit, but with proper maintenance it might even improve the over all capacities of the filter, similar to DE in a pool filter.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #13 
s3kshun62

I have sand in both of my tanks. Wash, wash, wash, and then wash some more. When you think you're done washing, wash two more times. Its a lot of work and it sticks to just about everything but it is totally worth it. Just be careful with a siphon. Stay above the substrate, so you dont suck it all up. Every once in a while, use a wooden dowel to kinda, break up any chunks in the water. Sand may compact and choke live plants. Other than that...it looks cleaner and better than gravel imo.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #14 
Welsh

Hi. I am thinking about putting play sand in my 12 gallon, I have heard so many horror stories about it breaking the filter, that I'm sceptical. How easy is the sand to maintain? I have live plants and there are often dead leaves floating on the bottom, but with the sand your going to see all the fish waste and food. I don't see how you can properly clean the sand without siphoning the sand up. The bag I have found is 15kg so how many of these would I need for a 12 gallon? Sorry to hijack =) lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #15 
ldempsey

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corykit View Post
...I think I'll go with some play sand for now, washing it a few hundred times sounds fun! :P
Hey, what did you do this weekend? ... I washed sand for 3 hours. Good times!
ldempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #16 
Hopeful

You know I never even thought about putting sand in my tanks! I really like this idea! I hate the way gravel looks I have smooth black river rock in my tank currently. I think I'll switch then when I get all my real plants every thing should be good!
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #17 
Welsh

I never thought about it either, although I hear sand is quite difficult to keep clean unlike gravel.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote