Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #31 
Terranariko
Member
 
Terranariko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada,N.B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
What do you mean by chemical? Is it water conditioner?

And where do you live? I'd get a heater ASAP, they are a must for bettas. You can get a Tetra one at Walmart for $11. It'll work pretty well in your tank if it's 2.65 gallons. The weather has been pretty nice here lately, but you never know!

If you have a filter, you can just cycle your tank. It'll make cleaning a lot easier for you!
Thats what I am doing...I'm cycleing it now but it might not work so when I get the fish I'm doing more changeing then people normally would to be safe.

I live in canada...I know it's like the worst place ever to be with out a heater...I would get one but I ran out of money...I hope I get some more for my birthday...then I could get a heater with the betta...but it's been rather warm lately...and summer is reaaalllyy warm...the fish would boil with a filter on as well as the summer conditions...I'm more conserned about fall and winter...spring isn't bad but I'm planing on getting a filter as soon as I can...so don't worry about that.

Also the chemical is a chemical that makes tap water safe for betta's and...protects scales and fins, and also contains almond leaf extract...it's also able to reduce stress.
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #32 
Jupiter
Member
 
Jupiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario
Okay, do you know how to cycle properly? I'm guessing you're using ammonia? Just remember not to do 100% changes, or you'll lose the cycle. it'll take about a month to do, but don't buy those chemicals you see that have bacteria to 'help' cycling! They're total junk, and a waste of money.

I live in Canada, too. Well, you probably already saw that my location is Ottawa. But you know how the weather here is, warm one day and windy and cold the next. Especially considering how the temperature drops at night, a drastic temp change can be stressfull to your betta.
Heaters stop heating once the temperature in the water reaches the correct temperature, so it's not going to boil your fish.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #33 
Terranariko
Member
 
Terranariko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada,N.B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Okay, do you know how to cycle properly? I'm guessing you're using ammonia? Just remember not to do 100% changes, or you'll lose the cycle. it'll take about a month to do, but don't buy those chemicals you see that have bacteria to 'help' cycling! They're total junk, and a waste of money.

I live in Canada, too. Well, you probably already saw that my location is Ottawa. But you know how the weather here is, warm one day and windy and cold the next. Especially considering how the temperature drops at night, a drastic temp change can be stressfull to your betta.
Heaters stop heating once the temperature in the water reaches the correct temperature, so it's not going to boil your fish.
well I'm seeing what I can do for the heater...

and cycleing a 2.65 gallon tank takes A MONTH? I didn't know that...thats not good...since I'm most likely getting the fish in around 5 days...
but then again I knew I couldn't completely cycle the tank before then...thats why I got those chemicals to help a bit...

I think the betta will be fine in semi-cycled water though...hopefully...
besides that...the only real problem is getting a heater...
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #34 
Jupiter
Member
 
Jupiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario
I can help you do a fish-in cycle, since it's what I did. A lot of people don't recommend this, since it can be stressful/potentially lethal to a betta if you're not on top of things.

First things first, you will definitely need a test kit. There is an API master test kit for about $36 at Petsmart, I think. A little expensive, but well worth your money and it will last a long time. Testing strips are cheaper, but not accurate.

Baisically you will have to test your water everyday to check the ammonia levels (and nitrite once the ammonia is done with) and do small, frequent water changes. I was doing at least 30% a day when I was cycling mine. Sometimes I would have to change another 30% during the night or in the middle of the day. Just remember to check the levels often and do small water changes when needed! Again, don't do 100% changes because you will lose the cycle.

To help speed up the cycling process, you can get filter media (the stuff you find inside the filter), gravel, or decorations from a tank that's already cycled. It helps A LOT. I used water and a bit of sponge from my uncle's tank when I was cycling, and the process was done in a little less than two weeks! Go to a pet store and see if they're willing to give you anything for it.

Again, don't use any chemicals! The only thing you should be using is water conditioner, which treats tap water. Anything that claims to help cycling, clean water, or anything like that is total bogus unforunately.

For now, I would suggest keeping the tank in the warmest room in your house.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #35 
Terranariko
Member
 
Terranariko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada,N.B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I can help you do a fish-in cycle, since it's what I did. A lot of people don't recommend this, since it can be stressful/potentially lethal to a betta if you're not on top of things.

First things first, you will definitely need a test kit. There is an API master test kit for about $36 at Petsmart, I think. A little expensive, but well worth your money and it will last a long time. Testing strips are cheaper, but not accurate.

Baisically you will have to test your water everyday to check the ammonia levels (and nitrite once the ammonia is done with) and do small, frequent water changes. I was doing at least 30% a day when I was cycling mine. Sometimes I would have to change another 30% during the night or in the middle of the day. Just remember to check the levels often and do small water changes when needed! Again, don't do 100% changes because you will lose the cycle.

To help speed up the cycling process, you can get filter media (the stuff you find inside the filter), gravel, or decorations from a tank that's already cycled. It helps A LOT. I used water and a bit of sponge from my uncle's tank when I was cycling, and the process was done in a little less than two weeks! Go to a pet store and see if they're willing to give you anything for it.

Again, don't use any chemicals! The only thing you should be using is water conditioner, which treats tap water. Anything that claims to help cycling, clean water, or anything like that is total bogus unforunately.

For now, I would suggest keeping the tank in the warmest room in your house.
It's in my room which is the warmest room right now.

...I don't think I can cycle it like that...I can't get a testing kit...I need a heater first...and I need to get the fish on wednesday...I'm really just stuck hopeing what I already did is enough... >.< I really need to be more prepared next time I get a betta fish...
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #36 
Jupiter
Member
 
Jupiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario
If you feel you can't do it, you don't need to cycle it. You'll need to do 100% water changes, though. At least one a week, as well as a 50% one. Most people will say two 100% changes a week, though.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #37 
Terranariko
Member
 
Terranariko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada,N.B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
If you feel you can't do it, you don't need to cycle it. You'll need to do 100% water changes, though. At least one a week, as well as a 50% one. Most people will say two 100% changes a week, though.
Oh...I could change the water like you said...but I can't get the testing kit...so it be kinda off...but 30% a day would be most realistic then 100% two times a week...I can do 100% a week and 30% a day...but I think 100% every two weeks would stress the fish since it would be still new to it's tank...if you can understand what I mean by that.

then again...the 100% a week, plus a 50% a week is also do-able.

Last edited by Terranariko; 05-07-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #38 
Jupiter
Member
 
Jupiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario
Well, whatever you choose, you'll at the very least need to do a 100% change per week, as well as another water change.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #39 
Terranariko
Member
 
Terranariko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada,N.B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Well, whatever you choose, you'll at the very least need to do a 100% change per week, as well as another water change.
I know that much...anyway...besides the heater I think I'm pretty well set for him...

now only thing bothering me besides the heater...is the days I have to count to get him...XD I'm very impatient when it comes to getting something I really want...not so impatient I'll do it without research but yeah...

I wonder what types of betta's they will have...I hope they have nice ones.
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
worried about my betta. kingb Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 27 03-31-2010 10:27 AM
New betta fishy (kinda img heavy) xjumperloverx Betta Pictures 17 10-02-2009 02:52 PM
Kinda Betta Ulyx Betta Fish Care 5 09-02-2009 10:11 PM
HELP! Im really worried about my new betta! fishboy95 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 6 07-09-2009 04:52 PM
betta hiding/chill spot...kinda weird..i'm worried jtfyeung Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 6 05-04-2009 08:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.