Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #11 
pearlyfins

If you really want her in the middle space that should work out just fine. As mentioned,.... place lots of tall plants by the divider to block some of their view, and just make sure that female has a hidey hole for some quiet retreat time. ;) Congratulations,.... I think you will really like this setup. It's easy to clean, easy to heat, and easy to filter.
pearlyfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

sounds good thank you very much i hope it comes out great all i have to do is go to wal-mart and buy some dividers.. i will let you know how it goes when i get them:) thanks again
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #13 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
i have 2 comments one is for you...but anyway right now i have each betta in a 1 liter tank and i cannot live with it it just looks like torture to them and i have to give them at least 3 gallons because i told myself that that would be their temporary home but i have to go to wal-mart and get more than 5 dividers...!!!NOT TO PUT IN A 10 GALLON TANK... just for future references..
Your bettas are fine! I was talking about the honey gourami that pearlyfins brought up. You're ALL GOOD! 8)
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

ohh okay thanks anyway lol:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #15 
pearlyfins

Hmm,... I'm confused! lol My DHG is in perfect health. His colors are rich and vibrant, he is very active, and he eats like a little oinker. The tank he shares is heated to a constant 80 degrees, it's filtered, aireated, and filled with healthy live plants!! I guess I am failing to see why there is such a horrible problem. Yes, his condo in the divided 10 gallon is only 3 gallons,.... however he seems very happy and there are zero signs of any stress. I, (like all of you) always want the best for my finned friends and would never intentionally create a poor environment for them. I spent several days doing research on this particular gourami and I built his 3 gallon condo to suit HIS needs,... heavily planted with a broken clay pot hidey hole.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #16 
Mister Sparkle

OK. I believe that you researched, and also that your current situation is thus far successful. I've done quite a bit with gouramis myself, and I would like to know where your research led you to a 3-gallon size minimum for the honeys. Mine were downright mopey in a 5-gallon, and in fact didn't even appear content until I moved them to the 15G! I don't think I've ever run into anyone who successfully kept them in less than 10 gallons, and I don't know of any literature that suggests 3-gallons as sufficient.

Believe me, if your fish is happy and healthy, I'm no one to argue. Your experience is new to me...that's all!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #17 
pearlyfins

I will have to go back to the web and find that website. I never bookmark anything!! lol

If my honey is an exception to the rule, then I am happy. He could be so active because of his fiesty neighbors. I was fully well expecting (again from web research) for him to be shy and hide a lot. But he has not been that way since day one. He is very sociable when I go to the tank. Almost like a betta,... always wanting to know what you're doing. He is getting so close to being hand fed! I am very excited about that! This is my first experience with any type of gourami and so far it has turned out to be a great one! These little guys have certainly become one of my favorites.

When I move out of this tiny place I call a home, I plan to have a 30 gallon community tank with a few more of these wonderful little fish!! I am thinking a couple of girly girls will suit my male nicely!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #18 
Mister Sparkle

No, I dug through the ol' library last night. This takes a while, as I've accumulated quite a few books over the years. I actually did find two books that give 5-gallons as the minimum. And I hold the authors of these books in very high regard. Yet, everyone seems to agree that the fish seem to do better and better the more space they have.

Long story short...your plans for the honey gourami to have one-half of a divided 10-gallon aquarium are reconciled with respectable, authoritative available literature. So, there you have it! You're OK, and I was overestimating the "minimum" by a factor of 100%.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #19 
pearlyfins

Thanks sparkle ;)