Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #1 
cmndrJOE

New Betta Owner Here

Hello everybody!

Name is Joe. Just recently purchased my first betta (actually picked him up a few hours ago.). I have him swimming around in a 2 gal tank, complete with filter, and a dumb, little fake plant. Stumbled across your site while researching for more information, and figured I would join the forum.

I will try to get some pictures of my setup. I'm not used to little fish (I used to have a 5 foot long tessalada eel, unfortunatley had to give him away because he outgrew his tank). I know I need to pick up a heater and thermometer still, and I need to ditch the fake plant and pick up a few live plants for him. Are there any other tips you guys may have? Thanks in advance!
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #2 
cmndrJOE

P.S. I've decided to name him Seoul, and he's a Veiltail. He's dark blue, except for the set of fins closest to his head on his underside (sorry I don't know the name of them), which have bright red stripes on them. I would try to take some pictures, but he doesn't seem to like the flash on my camera very much, so I will snap a few tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #3 
Jayy

Hello and welcome to the forum
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

Welcome, Joe! The only tip I would have is what you already know...the heater will be essential (I'm attached to the Marineland 10W for my small aquariums), but you already said you were planning on getting that. Since you kept fish before, I'm sure you know about how great a testing kit is.

Compared to an eel, bettas are pretty easy. I'd warn you about the possibility of "overfiltering", because bettas don't have nearly as much waste and are very sensitive to too much water movement. Feeding is also a lot different.

You're going to have a lot of fun with your betta, I'm sure!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #5 
xxabc

Here's a tip with planting (if you have plant questions, the Aquarium Plant section of this website is very helpful): Crowd the tank. Bettas love a good, well planted tank. Gives them some kind of territory.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #6 
cmndrJOE

Sorry for the crappy pics... aparently the light in the light in the room isn't good unless I open the blinds. I ditched the filter for the moment, it was taking a lot of room, and I think the current was a bit much for him. I need to do a water change for him also, as the water is a bit cloudy. My tap water sucks, so I'm going to pick up a couple gallons of bottled water. Luckily I work at a drug store, and get bottled water for less than a dollar a gallon lol.

Also noticed he's got red streaks throughout his tail. He's already showing some charcter, he follows me around when I'm in my room, and already knows what his food jar looks like and where I keep it lol. Hoping to pick up a bigger tank as money allows (I would like to move up to a 20-ish gallon soon, and will use this tank as part of the filter system, like I used to have for my saltwater setup).

Have any of you considered using crushed coral instead of rocks or sand for the bottom of the tank? Do you think that would be too abrasive for Seoul's fins? Also, if I were to put a small terra cotta pot into the tank for him, is there anything I need to do to prep it besides a good scrubbing (and using no soap of course)?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #7 
vaygirl

For the pot make sure the hole in the bottom is covered up. We've had a lot of member's bettas get stuck in the hole. That's the only thing I know about the pots. I've never actually used one. Your betta is gorgeous.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #8 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmndrJOE View Post

Sorry for the crappy pics... aparently the light in the light in the room isn't good unless I open the blinds. I ditched the filter for the moment, it was taking a lot of room, and I think the current was a bit much for him. I need to do a water change for him also, as the water is a bit cloudy. My tap water sucks, so I'm going to pick up a couple gallons of bottled water. Luckily I work at a drug store, and get bottled water for less than a dollar a gallon lol.

Also noticed he's got red streaks throughout his tail. He's already showing some charcter, he follows me around when I'm in my room, and already knows what his food jar looks like and where I keep it lol. Hoping to pick up a bigger tank as money allows (I would like to move up to a 20-ish gallon soon, and will use this tank as part of the filter system, like I used to have for my saltwater setup).

Have any of you considered using crushed coral instead of rocks or sand for the bottom of the tank? Do you think that would be too abrasive for Seoul's fins? Also, if I were to put a small terra cotta pot into the tank for him, is there anything I need to do to prep it besides a good scrubbing (and using no soap of course)?
I tried to fix your pic up for you. Don't know how much better it is...

You might want to try a sponge filter for your boy. Mine absolutely LOVE them! Even a scaled down version of your old marine filters is complete overkill for your guy.

The water will be cloudy for some time. I recommend 25-50% daily water changes until you get some beneficial bacteria going. Even still, I change 20% every other day, whether it seems to need it or not. But I'm a little OCD about my water.

I have tried crushed coral before, with mixed results. One guy was fine, while another got all torn up. Had a sorority that did fine for a little while, but I switched for other reasons that don't really matter at all to this conversation.

For a pot, I prefer the ones that are "glazed". Don't know if it makes a difference, to be honest, because I've never tried the others.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #9 
Starbright

I'm not entirely sure about how your betta's fins will like that plant >.< They get ripped very easily, which is why it's recommended to get silk or live plants for a betta :)

He's very pretty ^^ Welcome to the hobby!
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #10 
cmndrJOE

Thanks for all the positive feedback! The water has seemed to mostly clear up since I've taken the filter out. Weird. As far as the plant goes, he seems to dig it, and hovers inside it all day, but I have every intention to ditch it Sunday or Monday as time allows (I work 6 days a week, kinda bites, but it pays the bills =) ). I'll be doing some research as to what kind of plants I would like of course.

Oh, so, I've also discovered he's got a black head lol. Here's a few photos I snapped when I came home tonight. Pardon the quality, the tank I have is curved on all sides, and reflects the light from my flash weirdly.

He's got a black head, dark blue body, and red fins (I have still yet to find out the name for the set of small fins on his underside closest to his head lol). Also, I don't know if u can see it in any of the pics, not only are they red, but the leading edge of those fins have a bright turquoise stripe. Very interesting indeed.