Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #1 
Exquisite

Moss Balls & PH Stabilizers

Hi,

I am using one of API's PH buffers (7.5) for my Betta tanks to stabilize the PH and alkalinity levels, and it works just fine, however, I removed my moss balls because the instructions said not for use with live plants. Does anyone know just how long I have to keep the moss balls out of the tanks? The Petsmart by me said to keep the moss out until it "buffers", which I assume means "stabilizes," but I don't want to chance it and have dead moss floating all over the place. Currently, I keep a 10 gallon container of 24hr naturally aged water, which I then add my various conditioners to so that I have ready water for changes.

Thanks for the help.
Exquisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #2 
BulletToothBoris

Just use some prime for the water and keep the plants. I would stop using PH buffers.
BulletToothBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #3 
Exquisite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothBoris View Post
Just use some prime for the water and keep the plants. I would stop using PH buffers.

Hi. Can you recommend a product name please? I am not sure what you're suggesting. I use conditioners and buffers because my water is pretty awful and it needs it. So, I am hesitant to stop using the ph buffer unless there is an alternative that works better AND ALSO compatible with live plants.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #4 
BulletToothBoris

Seachem Prime with take care of chlorine/ chlormine so put a few drops in your aging water (I age mine for 24 hours). Live plants will condition your water also. In my opinion if your water is really that hard (or soft) you should get animals that like your type of water instead of dumping chemicals in your tank.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #5 
Exquisite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothBoris View Post
Seachem Prime.
Thanks for the product suggestion.

Fortunately for my bettas, I am very committed to them (especially since I already own them). So, while chemicals are lesser ideal, I am confident I can provide them with a good quality of life, even with my area's water problems. So, additional suggestions or information on lowering ph/alkalinity/water hardness that will work with live plants will be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #6 
BulletToothBoris

Throw a piece of driftwood in there. The tannins will make your water look like tea but your betta will love it. Natural is always better.

Last edited by BulletToothBoris; 01-27-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: because
Old 01-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #7 
Matilda

I have the same problem with the water in my area. It's incredibly soft, almost no buffering capacity or minerals to speak of. If I don't use SOMETHING, my Ph will crash within days. I found this out the hard way when it crashed in my big goldfish tank & I almost lost her, her slime coat was coming off in strips & chunks. It was horrible!

I researched the heck out the situation & decided on a product from Kent Marine called Ph Stable. It only effects the Kh, not the Gh in an aquarium so you don't have to worry about the water getting too hard. It will also have no effect on live plants. I use it in all my tanks & my plants are all thriving. I cannot recommend this product enough.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...250-gram.html#
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #8 
Exquisite

Thank you both. I will look into those suggestions.

@Matilda does the product you mentioned only work for soft water? Mine is super hard.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #9 
sandybottom
Reference Team

peat moss in the filter,blackwater extract,indian almond or dried white oak leaves free of pesticides and driftwood are all natural ways to bring down the ph.always go natural unless you have absolutely no other choice.aragonite sand,baking soda and crushed shells are natural ways to bring up the ph.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #10 
Matilda

@exquisite. Sorry to respond so late! The product will work fine in hard water.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moss, ph buffers