Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #11 
Starbright

Omgosh yeah.. don't ever listen to the Petstore employees! Just nod and smile :) And complain to them about their horrendous treatment of bettas..

A 2.5 gallon would be awesome for your guy :D However, it has to be heated to (as xxabc stated) 77-80F.

You could start a betta sorority in your 10 gallon! There are helpful threads on this site about it ^^
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #12 
MustardGas

Yeah, definitely go with then ten. I have my guy with 2 otos (their buddy died) ): and a bunch of ramshorns in a 10 and he's the happiest guy I've ever seen! He explores EVERY inch of his tank and loves hiding in the plants.
And just for the record, I do work at a pet store (a large chain type) and we do everything for our animals. We get in trouble all the time for doing stuff we're not supposed to be doing (for the good of the animals, like setting up filtered/heated tanks in the back for the bettas with fin rot which we're not allowed to do, but we do anyway). We all do our research as much as possible for each type of fish and are actually tested on our knowledge from time to time. Unfortunately it's such a rare thing for pet stores to do any sort of thing like that. And I'm only 17 as well, while many think all the 'teens' are just there for money and know nothing of the care needed for any animal. I always urge people away from the bowls and such with all of my being.

ANYWAY, bigger is always better!
Here's my tank:

Mind you the plants have filled in a lot so there's more coverage :)
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #13 
colovergirl

I will deffinetlly be moving them into the ten gallion. I am just a little hesitant to get them both settled into new tanks when were going to be moving next months. But now that i know I can do it I will. And I meent no disrespect Mustard Gas, I'm sure that there are several people working at the pet stores who really do know something about the animals in there departments but the lady who helped me out didn't seem to know anything at all and like I said after losing are rainbow fish as my 4 yr old son calls them, I desided that I needed to find out more info on my own. I did a search and this website poped up. I'm really glade that I found it to because you all have giving me a lot of good advice bouth directly and indirectly ( from reading other posts on here) And I thank all of you.
Oh yeah and your tank is really amazing Mustard Gas!!
colovergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #14 
xxabc

What is that plant somewhat in the middle? It sticks out and is very tall. It's very pretty. I kind of want it. Haha.

And don't forget to divide that 10 gallon before you set it up. You can make your own makeshift divider with plastic mesh and the plastic-rims of report folders.

(Starbright, they can't start a sorority because they have a male to take care of unless they want two tanks)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #15 
MustardGas

Quote:
Originally Posted by colovergirl View Post
I will deffinetlly be moving them into the ten gallion. I am just a little hesitant to get them both settled into new tanks when were going to be moving next months. But now that i know I can do it I will. And I meent no disrespect Mustard Gas, I'm sure that there are several people working at the pet stores who really do know something about the animals in there departments but the lady who helped me out didn't seem to know anything at all and like I said after losing are rainbow fish as my 4 yr old son calls them, I desided that I needed to find out more info on my own. I did a search and this website poped up. I'm really glade that I found it to because you all have giving me a lot of good advice bouth directly and indirectly ( from reading other posts on here) And I thank all of you.
Oh yeah and your tank is really amazing Mustard Gas!!

Oh I took no disrepect! I just wanted to clear a few things up :) I know tons of places are absolutely horrid when it comes to pet care! I just like feeling that ours is quite superior ;) I'll admit, quite a few people at my store still think it's okay to put a betta in a bowl but I shall slowly change that ;)

Haha thanks! Roscoe thinks so too ;) They're so much more fun with more room!

And xxabc: Either the Amazon Sword plant or the Cabomba... they're both pretty tall but I think you're talking about the sword :P
Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #16 
xxabc

Haha yeah, I was talking about the sword.

Darn, the amazon will outgrow the 5gal out too much. I'll find another alternative to it I guess, haha. You use any ferts?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #17 
Starbright

Oh I meant keep the male in the 2.5 >.<

Mustardgas, that's a beautiful tank :)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #18 
MustardGas

xxabc: Haha yeah, unless you start with an itty bitty baby (like the little guy beside it) it'll outgrow it in no time! And yeah, I add Seachem liquid fertilizer probably once a week (if I remember) :P That stuff smells awful though!

Star: Thanks! (And from a pet store employee, gasp! ;) )
I mean a lot of us do know our stuff, it's places like Wal Mart and other terrible pet stores giving us a bad name. No one listens to us anymore, even though they know NOTHING and want to put two comet goldfish in a 1-gallon bowl. Thankfully we're allowed to revoke their guarantee on the fish ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #19 
sunset

[quote=Starbright;381448]Omgosh yeah.. don't ever listen to the Petstore employees! Just nod and smile :) And complain to them about their horrendous treatment of bettas...=quote]

Haha, yupp. I swear, they should be the ones on here becuase even I know that what they say 99% of the time is bogus!

Edit: Ugh, the quote didnt work, I was trying to quote what Starbright had said.

Edit again: sorry Mustard Gas, I don't mean to offend you or anyone. I don't doubt that you know your stuff! Its the employees that don't know what they are talking about that bother me to no end!

Last edited by sunset; 05-11-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: eta
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #20 
MustardGas

None taken, sunset :) I just want everyone to know that just because you work at a pet store, it doesn't mean you're completely clueless about taking care of fish. But I definitely agree, many are horrible. I mean, it's simple moral and ethics, and so many people just don't get it! You don't keep a fish in a bowl! It's blatant cruelty and everyone should see that.
I agree that those kind of people bug me too ):
Posted via Mobile Device