Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #1 
newfishmom

Another salt/water change question

So....I bought aquarium salt because, I thought I needed to. And because Roscoe had some fin rot. Anyway, I bought it, started adding it to "all" of my tanks because I figured I should. Reading the back of the box says to use it for general tonic & stress reducer for tropical fish. And, to enhance tropical fish disease treatment. I thought I was suppose to add it everytime I did a water change? Do I not keep doing this? Do you not keep putting the salt into there tanks?

My two small tanks, 2.5 gallon & 2 gallon, I have been changing the water 100% twice a week. Wondering if I can change that to 50% once & 100% once. They are not filtered. (Looking at a filter for the 2.5 though) My two 5 gallons I do about a 50% to 90% once a week. Is this enough? My fish seem to be doing great! Guess I am just a worrywart.
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #2 
Kittles

Aquarium salt isn't a necessary addition to your tanks. In fact, I think long term exposure can lead to health problems. I'd discontinue adding it with water changes and allow it to gradually diffuse. Just keep it on hand for when you're needing to treat an ailment.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #3 
newfishmom

Thanks!
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I agree. Long term use of salt can cause liver and kidney issues. If your fish is sick try using the salt for 10 days doing daily water changes. The salt does not evaporate out so only put the amount of salt in that you take out.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote