Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #1 
mysquishy

Unhappy Tito isn't looking so good.

He has had problems since I saw him at walmart. He has horrible bloating issues. He will bloat even after one little piece of food and I only feed him 6 days out of the week. I have tried three different types of pellets and I tried a tiny bit of flakes also. About once a week I soak their food in garlic. He bloats over everything. Well, I don't know if the bloating is causing his problems right now but he just seems to be acting weird. He just floats around not moving and sometime he seems to twitch a little. It just seems weird. He isn't very active and he seems acts like he isn't getting enough oxygen maybe. His water temp is 81, I change the water two times a week in their divided 10 gallon, and there is a filter. He shares the tank with Leon and Jasper and they are very very active and happy. Whatever it is I hope it is nothing that will make the other two sick.

Oh and I forgot to add that he seems to have a bent spine or something because he always seems hunched over. Poor guy has so many issues. I may have to take him out of the 10 gallon and put him in a shallow tank again.
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #2 
Dravoth

He might have some blockage in his digestive system and this is causing the SBD. Have you tried feeding him a pea to clean out his system? Just boil a pea, remove the skin off the pea, cut it up into Betta sized bits and feed him at least half of it. Make sure this is all you feed him in 24 hours. This will help clean out his system.
Dravoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #3 
mysquishy

Yes, I did the pea thing once or twice right after I go him. I think I need to do it again though. He has so many issues with it I will probably have to make it something I do monthly or more.

By the way many of the bettas at the walmart I got him from seem to be overfed and many of them are very bloated. I got Tito because he was so sick at the store and I felt bad for him. He seems to be doing a little better but every now and then he bloats and I feed him less than the other boys.

Last edited by mysquishy; 05-10-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #4 
Cyphus

For my wet friends, I feed them 5.5 days a week, and fast them for that .5 day before I feed each of them a piece of cooked pea! Variety in their diet also helps
Cyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #5 
mysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphus View Post
For my wet friends, I feed them 5.5 days a week, and fast them for that .5 day before I feed each of them a piece of cooked pea! Variety in their diet also helps
I may have to try this.