Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #1 
Terranariko

What the...what is berry doing? ._.

I caught berry doing something...weird...I caught him wiggleing near the filter but when I looked closed he was going ON the filter...I don't know why...(there was around a inch or so of water on the filter because it was underwater) and when he went on it...he just chilled there...I made him move cause I was scared he gets caught or something...paranoid mostly for his safety...

here's a picture...

Name:  whatheberry.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  14.0 KB

Name:  whatheberry2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  16.0 KB

The filter isn't beating him up or anything...he stays in the water just fine...I don't know why he would want to lay on the filter though...was he trying to sleep? should I not be conserned when he does this? ._. I have no idea...

Also he went back...should I remove him or just let him chill?...
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 
vaygirl

They find all kinds of things to rest/sleep on. Mine rests on the heater bracket that holds it up. If he's not going to be injured by doing it, and his tail or fins aren't getting sucked into anything, I wouldn't worry. They're loungers, those bettas. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #3 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
They find all kinds of things to rest/sleep on. Mine rests on the heater bracket that holds it up. If he's not going to be injured by doing it, and his tail or fins aren't getting sucked into anything, I wouldn't worry. They're loungers, those bettas. :D
Ah...ok..next time I'll leave him be...I feel bad pestering him so much...D= i'm just paranoid cause I just got him...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #4 
beta novice

right you should have that right
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I know. I totally understand. It's hard to know what's normal behavior and what isn't. Whiskey lets his tail get sucked against the filter intake and just hangs there for a while, letting it hold him up. It makes me crazy. He also drapes himself across plants like a big sheet.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #6 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I know. I totally understand. It's hard to know what's normal behavior and what isn't. Whiskey lets his tail get sucked against the filter intake and just hangs there for a while, letting it hold him up. It makes me crazy. He also drapes himself across plants like a big sheet.
Oh ok...so it is normal for them just to lay in one spot for a while then...right? Berry will stay in one spot...then move to another...then move to another but stay in one spot for like 15-50 minutes...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #7 
vaygirl

I think that's normal when you first bring them home. They get used to things soon enough and perk up. Just keep his water clean and give him some time to get used to his new world. :)
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #8 
Jayy

i know how weird bettas can be trust me i had a female once and she went missng right? found her with her head face down in her plant at the back of the tank and she just comes swiming out like HI!!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #9 
kuklachica

It could also be that he doesn't like the "waterfall" effect that the filter produces. How big is the tank? I've noticed in tanks that I have the same filter in, that if I don't "baffle" the output or give them enough space to get away from it, they get stressed. You might want to try baffling it and he may move more and won't have to struggle as much.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #10 
Kaisa

lol i have that same filter but i keep an inch or so out of water and two times now i've found one of my bettas on top... out of the water!

your guy is probably just using it as a bed. He looks pretty comfy to me. One thing with that filter is it's wayy to strong for my bettas even on the lowest setting so i put a sqaure peice of filter sponge over the output.
Kaisa is offline   Reply With Quote