Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #1 
my dead bettas

50 % water changes?

My tap water has a lot of ammonia and has killed two of my fish. I have a 5 Gallon tank (no filter). Lately, I have been using Publix brand spring water for my latest fish and he seems to be doing great (small bowl - doing daily 100% changes)

Can I get away with doing 50% water changes every week (on the 5 gallon)? or will that depend on the parameters?

I am considering downgrading to a 2.5 tank to save a bit of money on the water changes.

Btw, I understand the concept of "cycling" but I have not found a good source to guide me through the process. This is the reason I am not doing it at this time.
my dead bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #2 
cmndrJOE

From what I understand its really hard for a tank under 5 gal to hold a cycle. 100% waterchanges are also generally bad because there are essential bacteria that grow in the tank that help keep the tank clean. From the information I've read here, 25-50% waterchanges are generally the rule of thumb, and every other day should be good. Hopefully someone more experienced thant me can help confirm some of this info.
cmndrJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

A 5 gallon tank can easily hold a cycle. All my tanks from 2.5-10 gallons are cycled with no problems.

Cycling seems harder than it actually is. If you have fish already in the tank you can do a fish-in cycle but it is hard work and requires daily water changes to keep the levels low enough to not harm the fish. Fishless cycling is much easier and 100% safe for the fish. To cycle your going to need a good liquid test kit. Once you decide which method of cycling you want to do you can start researching how to do it. For fishless cycling I recommend using ammonia. Some people use fish food but I think that would create harmful as well as beneficial bacteria.

Even on a cycled 5 gallon I would do two water changes a week. (50% each time). Have you tried using Prime conditioner to see if that neutralizes the ammonia in your tap water?

For your small bowl continue doing 100% water changes. Their may be some beneficial bacteria that grow but without a source of aeration the bacteria will not live.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #4 
my dead bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
A 5 gallon tank can easily hold a cycle. All my tanks from 2.5-10 gallons are cycled with no problems.

Cycling seems harder than it actually is. If you have fish already in the tank you can do a fish-in cycle but it is hard work and requires daily water changes to keep the levels low enough to not harm the fish. Fishless cycling is much easier and 100% safe for the fish. To cycle your going to need a good liquid test kit. Once you decide which method of cycling you want to do you can start researching how to do it. For fishless cycling I recommend using ammonia. Some people use fish food but I think that would create harmful as well as beneficial bacteria.

Even on a cycled 5 gallon I would do two water changes a week. (50% each time). Have you tried using Prime conditioner to see if that neutralizes the ammonia in your tap water?

For your small bowl continue doing 100% water changes. Their may be some beneficial bacteria that grow but without a source of aeration the bacteria will not live.
I have ammonia neutralizer but I am afraid of it since the water still test positive (which it should). I hear it only neutralizes ammonia for 24 hrs or so, so its hard to judge.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

If it neutralizes ammonia then it lasts for more than 24 hours. A neutralizer is supposed to take the ammonia and transform it into something less toxic.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #6 
my dead bettas

quick question, if my water already has ammonia, how will affect my fish (if cycling) during water changes. I would be adding more ammonia every time I change the water
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #7 
sunset

Where did the post go for a step by step instruction for fishless cycling go? Can someone link it please?
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #8 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
If it neutralizes ammonia then it lasts for more than 24 hours. A neutralizer is supposed to take the ammonia and transform it into something less toxic.
It is changed through a weak chemical bond, one which will not last.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #9 
my dead bettas

so, it is possible to cycle and maintain my tank considering my tap water has ammonia?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #10 
ecoprincess

i do one 50% water change and one 90% water change a week in my 5g (no filter)

(not cycled)
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote