Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #1 
Heat

Looking for a new theme for my aquarium. Any ideas?

I was actually inspired by some other person (XrAdEr haha) to make a more natural-looking fish tank~ x3 I have allot of rocks, like 2 handfuls of ugly gravel :c, some marbles (white, bright blue, lavendar, and brown. yes brown. awesome right?! ) , and 3 plants. One is light green and very tall, one is dark green, tiny and the leaves on it are very thin, and then there's a pink plant with thin leaves. But just to let you know, they are fake :c I also have fake grass, which is my favorite piece of fish furniture~ But I don't have to use it, right? ^^' Also, I don't mind buying new gravel or decorations, as long as its cheap!
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:32 AM   #2 
Rain Drop

You could do something with black river rocks and green plants!
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #3 
s3kshun62

Yeah if you want a natural tank...go for dark browns and greens. Stick the tall green plant in the back, the tiny green plant in the front. Throw the grass in there...depending on how it looks it may act as a nice foreground plant. Use the rocks and buy some dark gravel. If you have a Petco nearby they have a great selection of colors...some of which just vary by a slight shade of color. If you can find a good piece of driftwood, use it. At most pet chains you can find some Mopani wood for around 6-9$ that will be big enough for your tank. What size is your tank by the way?

This is what my "natural theme" tank looks like. I've also got a Greek ruins theme and a zen bamboo thicket theme.
Attached Images

s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #4 
Heat

Lol its a 1-gallon. Its really small.

I also found out there's this filter called Lava made of natural lava rocks. It has carbon inside the rocks so I could use that instead of the crappy filter I have. (cotten with pieces of carbon lol.)
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #5 
Rain Drop

Wow that sounds super cool =o
I've never heard of it!
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #6 
Welsh

If it's a 1 gallon I would reccommend not using the plastic plants, the plastic will rip the fins of the betta and since the space is limited there is more chance of them getting damaged. What you could do is the panty hose test, if the panty hose tear then IMO it's risky to use.

I like the idea of a natural tank, I have one and with out being biased its quite effective to look at =) You could use sand and in a 1 gallon you wouldn't need a lot, you could then use some small river rocks to make a little cave. If you agree with me and don't use the plastic plants, you could either get some nice silk or live plants. Water sprite would be nice as it can be tied down into the substrate or just left floating but just remember to leave enough space for the betta to breathe at the surface, you could even have a bit of java moss =) some anacharis although IMO these are quite messy plants, or a few amazon swords, red ludwigia.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #7 
rachel1811

Hark at u Welsh lol how far uv come!!! Uv learned a hell of a lot since ur first message :) u sound v knowledgable now. Almost a Betta expert :)

Rx
rachel1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #8 
Welsh

Was that sarcasm rachel1811?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #9 
s3kshun62

Try getting a sponge filter, it wont take up a lot of space and you'll be able to hide it easily.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #10 
rachel1811

No Welsh :) it was a compliment :)

Rx
rachel1811 is offline   Reply With Quote