Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #1 
Heat

My dad refuses to by me a heater..??

I'm planning on getting this filter (link below), and its undergravel so my fish won't notice it. It is 5" long, which is the perfect size for my tank, a 1-gallon. My dad things that I'd be wasting my money because we live in Florida so it'll be warm anyway, but I'm scared that my fish might get too cold dring the night, expecially since everyone's bugging me to get a heater. I've already saved up money to buy it.

Also, I heard that other people use this with 1 gallon tanks use this without problems. The only bad thing is that i never had a heater before and I don't know how to use it!

(P.S. Yes I do have a thermometer.)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3184687
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #2 
doggyhog

I personally wouldn't get a hydor mini heater. Get a Tetra 2-15 heater instead. Much better and automatically shuts off when the water gets to 78 degrees. I have one in my 1g hospital tank and it works great.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #3 
Welsh

Don't get the hydor mini heater !!! I had this and it refused to keep my 2.4 gall at anything above 60, I eventually bought another one this week but sadly Aden has now passed away a few minutes ago =(

Mister Sparkle usually reccommends the Marineland 10 watt Shatterproof heater =) I'm sure you can find it cheaper in your cool american stores that us UK people don't have lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Sha.../dp/B00176DUEY
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #4 
Heat

Lol okay~:c Hydro mini heater seems like a really good idea! NEVERMIND OMG SO FRIGGIN EXPENSIVE!! I only have 9 dollars and billions of coins :P

Also, I need to save up for aquarium salt to treat fungis (he has white cottony things on his face) so I wanna know a cheap place to get it from if you're willing to help :3

Last edited by Heat; 05-13-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #5 
Welsh

I'm not trying to put you off but I was suggested to use aquarium salt to treat fin rot for Aden, I used it and it made his fins so much worse IMO. I followed instructions down to the letter too. If you want to use AQ salt then API salt is what most people use. I bought this other treatment today called Tetra General tonic, I can't tell you if it works because Aden died before I really got chance to use it but it does say " rapid cure for fish diseases" on the label but its up to you what you use, other people have had real success with AQ salt =)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #6 
ecoprincess

Aq. salts are about $3 for a "salt size box" @ my local fish store.

If u have access i HIGHLY reccomend getting some indian almond leaves....i was treating my betta for fin rot with salts and as they DID work, as soon as i threw a leaf in there his fins are growing like weeds!

I know your betta does not have fin rot but IAL work well for your bettas overall health! THEY LOOOOOVE IT!

WELSH - ~hugz~ im sorry to hear about your betta! :(
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #7 
shmifty5

Red face

im going to get some flak for this, but i live in canada, and my first betta lived completely fine without a heater in a house without indoor heating in the dead of winter. im sure your betta will be fine without a heater in sunny, tropical florida, that is unless your winters drop so low that frost builds up on the tanks walls.

he may not thrive, but he will definately live to old age.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #8 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoprincess View Post

WELSH - ~hugz~ im sorry to hear about your betta! :(
Thanks ecoprincess :)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #9 
Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmifty5 View Post
im going to get some flak for this, but i live in canada, and my first betta lived completely fine without a heater in a house without indoor heating in the dead of winter. im sure your betta will be fine without a heater in sunny, tropical florida, that is unless your winters drop so low that frost builds up on the tanks walls.

he may not thrive, but he will definately live to old age.
Errmm.. what exactly do you mean by 'he may not thrive'?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #10 
Welsh

It means, you won't fully see him flourish, some bettas are sensitive to the cold so without heat they become lethargic, etc.... just like us Brits lol.