Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #1 
funkiplanet

Reflection Time - Good?

We recently got a 10g tank and have one betta inside while we wait for our divider to arrive. It seems like when I turn the light on he goes a little nuts but I've read that it's healthy for him to stretch his fins and be in defense mode for a little bit each day. Any thoughts? Should I turn the light on so he can get his ya ya's out a little each day?

We like to have the light on to see him, but don't want him to get so excited he blows a gasket.

Thanks!
funkiplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #2 
Kittles

Should be fine, and he'll more than likely settle down in time. How long have you had him, and how well planted or decorated is the tank? If he's newer, he may just be adjusting. If he doesn't have much to hide in, he may be stressed.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #3 
funkiplanet

We've had him for 5 months but the tank for just about a week. He was in a sad pathetic plastic box before that. I have live plants and two hiding spots for him. I just don't want to stress him out too much.

Should I bunch up the plants more? I have 8 plants in there but they are spread around. I could bunch them up more. I just don't want him to tweak his beef.

Oy, poor guy.
funkiplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #4 
Kittles

A beef tweak. That sounds painful. I don't think I'd want that for him either. I know a lot of members here have bettas that flare at their own reflection, but I'm not sure how they deal with it, or if it forces them to keep the light off. If his behavior remains constant with the light on, I guess leave it off until you get his to-be tank mate established on the other half. Having a brother across the way might keep him more distracted.. or just give him something else to flare at. Either way, I wouldn't let him keep you from keeping the light off. That would suck.

Maybe, if you're able, move the tank to a place where it's not so dark around it. If the only light around the tank is the light above (or in) it then you'll be dealing with inner reflections a lot more. A place with more ambient lighting should cut back on the issue.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #5 
vaygirl

Tango had that problem and I had to get a picture for the back of his aquarium and now he can't see himself as well. Like Kittles mentioned, he was in a dark corner. As soon as the weather warmed up he seemed to get like a flare addict. It's just something you learn to live with if your guy won't stop. Sometimes I turn the lights out for a 'time out' for Whiskey, who also does this now. Freakin' spring. Everyone's all twitchy! :P

If they do it excessively like mine does, it can cause a 'blown tail' where their tail can look like a flag caught out in a windstorm. This happens to Tango once in a while but as long as their water is kept clean, it heals back up just fine. Tango blew his last week and it's almost healed up. For now. :\
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #6 
Sarada

I think my guy flares at me...he's always looking directly at me when he flares even if I'm across the room :P
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote