Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #1 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
dont know how to get rid of it:(

hello everyone i need help on how to help a bloated betta my beautiful goliath:) hes getting bloated what do i do??
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #2 
Heat
New Member
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Don't feed him for a few days so he can digest his food.
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
What do you feed him and how often (how many times a day and how much per day?)? Their stomachs are the size of ONE eye so it's very small. If you're feeding pellets, I'd try soaking them first (15-20 minutes) before feeding them. When the betta eats the pellets and gets wet, it'll expand in the bettas stomach causing it to bloat.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #4 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
What do you feed him and how often (how many times a day and how much per day?)? Their stomachs are the size of ONE eye so it's very small. If you're feeding pellets, I'd try soaking them first (15-20 minutes) before feeding them. When the betta eats the pellets and gets wet, it'll expand in the bettas stomach causing it to bloat.
wow that sounds very possible well i feed him everyday and two pellets a day. but also should i wait a few days then start feeding him again (first soak before just feeding) ?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #5 
JamieTron
Member
 
JamieTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Depends on what type of bloating it is, I would say that bloating strictly in the belly region is an over full belly or constipation and what they said above fasting him for a couple of days would be best to help allow him to pass the compaction...

However if the swelling continues to grow in the belly region to an unnatural size and or spread to the whole body I would be worried about dropsy, which is essentially uncurable.

Perhaps a photo could help??

I would just keep an eye on your betta for a bit to monitor the swelling
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #6 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTron View Post
Depends on what type of bloating it is, I would say that bloating strictly in the belly region is an over full belly or constipation and what they said above fasting him for a couple of days would be best to help allow him to pass the compaction...

However if the swelling continues to grow in the belly region to an unnatural size and or spread to the whole body I would be worried about dropsy, which is essentially uncurable.

Perhaps a photo could help??

I would just keep an eye on your betta for a bit to monitor the swelling
ill try my best to get pictures and also all i have done was give him pellets and he started bloating. so i dont know...i have never had dropsy done to my bettas and i hope it doesn't happen too...but one thing is that he is only a little bloated but i think that if i dont treat it then he will die and i dont want that to happen i have had him for 3 months now:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Try soaking the pellets because it sounds like that's what's causing it. But, if it gets bigger, than that's something totally different. I'd fast him for a couple days and watch his poop. You could also get daphnia which helps with constipation.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #8 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
Try soaking the pellets because it sounds like that's what's causing it. But, if it gets bigger, than that's something totally different. I'd fast him for a couple days and watch his poop. You could also get daphnia which helps with constipation.
okay so how much does that daphina usually vary around??
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #9 
JamieTron
Member
 
JamieTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
okay so how much does that daphina usually vary around??
do you mean the price?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #10 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTron View Post
do you mean the price?
yes
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I dont think i should do this...need help. BettaSCHmacK Betta Fish Compatibility 9 01-13-2010 10:22 AM
dont know what this could be! help! Wed Betta Fish Care 1 06-09-2009 02:10 AM
I dont know what to do!? AlfaTheBeta Breeding Betta Fish 4 05-14-2009 05:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.