Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #31 
my dead bettas

I cannot get rid of the ammonia... I have treated the water twice to no avail. I am using Top Fin Ammonia Remover. For now the little guy is still in the Petsmart bowl. I did a water change yesterday (using spring water) and he seems to be doing well.

I'd hate to do this but I am considering downgrading to a 2.5 gallon tank so I can afford the weekly (bottled) water changes.
my dead bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #32 
Kittles

I think you should try to cycle the tank you have now! Is it a five or ten gallon? If you're able to do this, you'll be able to neutralize the ammonia in your tap water (it will still show up on your tests, though*) long enough for your cycle to convert it to nitrite which then, in turn, gets converted to nitrate. That would handle your ammonia problem nicely, methinks. There's also Seachem Prime water conditioner that neutralizes ammonia, but I'm not sure how long, or how people use that in uncycled tanks, because eventually it becomes toxic again, right? I have no ammonia in my water, so I really don't know how people get around it :<

*You say it still shows up on your tests after treatment, but that's because even after the ammonia is reduced to ammonium it is still detectable. The difference is that ammonium is not harmful to your fish (I think), but the problem is that it doesn't remain in this state forever and will eventually go back to ammonia (I think).
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #33 
my dead bettas

I have a 5 gallon tank. And yes, my test still finds ammonia present but it may be the ammonium you are talking about. I'd just hate to loose another fish to this. I already lost two (hence my screen name).
my dead bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #34 
xxabc

I have ammonia in my tap water. I use Seachem Prime to detoxify it for 24 hours. Before the 24 hours are up however, because my tank is cycled, all the ammonia/ammonium levels go to 0. This is why you should cycle the 5 gallon tank. It'll be lovely.

If you're willing to, just use your tap water and do daily changes (all within 24 hours of each other) with any conditioner that detoxifies ammonia. It should be okay and your tank should be cycling if you carry it out long enough.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #35 
Titus Flame

I used to have a hex tank that leaked plastic poison or something...over 5 fish met thier death in thier before i tossed it.
Titus Flame is offline   Reply With Quote