Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #11 
Betta Nut

He's gorgeous...beautiful coloring.. And healthy!
Clean slate, so be sure to change his water at least twice a week to keep him that way :) Water quality is possibly the leading prevention of illness, followed by stable temps and diet.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #12 
ABETTAVOICE

As far as I can see, very nice looking. He is very beautiful.
ABETTAVOICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #13 
mercurialistroamer

Oh good, I'm glad to hear he looks healthy. He's super lazy today...I don't know if it's shock or what...but he's mostly just resting upright (not laying down sideways) on his leaf-hammock and looking the corner of his tank. I put a background on the backside and that seems to have helped the flaring but he's so inactive. Of course I'm probably just fretting because he's new and I don't want to do anything wrong...he's probably just coming down off of freaking out last night lol

so another question for you guys....
what kind of plastics can I use in the tank? If I wanted to use my own decoration what would be okay and what wouldn't be? So instead of a pirate ship, I give him The Enterprise from Star Trek to swim inside/around would that be okay?

Or if instead of rocks or plastic jewels for the bottom I bought a huge bag of gaming dice...is it the same plastic or different? (huge nerd here btw, want to make a geeky yet comfortable aquarium for him)
mercurialistroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #14 
ABETTAVOICE

My Betta was very slow swimming at first, and yes it is stress. Keep it dark and quiet around him, not a lot of movement. Put card board around tank or pieces of paper or greeting cards whatever you have around in the evening so he can sleep and destress. I would not use any plastic in the tank unless it is aquarium specific. The dice might have chemicals that are harmful to Betta.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #15 
Betta Nut

Oh dear, I see an incoming Kirk or Spock name, lol.
And yeah, while some plastic stuff might be ok, there isn't any way to be sure. It'd be a huge risk not worth taking.

Edit to add.. For hard to find unique things like what you may be looking for, try here: http://www.etsy.com/search?q=aquariu...o=US&ref=auto9
I bet buried somewhere is some star trek ornaments :)

Last edited by Betta Nut; 02-02-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #16 
mercurialistroamer

Well I was going to call him Admiral Ackbar but I decided it just didn't fit. Is there a paint or coating I could cover plastics with to make it safe? You guys have been so helpful, thank you...there's just such a lack of supplies near me...and knowledgeable people.
mercurialistroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #17 
ABETTAVOICE

The toxin could still leak through the paint, and the paint itself could peel off. Better safe then worried sick. Amazon and online pet stores offer items and most with very cheap or free shipping.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #18 
Betta Nut

Maybe instead, to feed the geek inside, try to make a surreal alien landscape? Also, if you have a printer or access to one, find a nerdy picture to print and use for a background. Backgrounds can really set a theme for a tank well.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #19 
haveyouhadyourteayet

If you're talking about just like mixed set chessex dice, they'd be a huge pain to clean up, imo. I've had big chunks of sea glass, and then regular gravel, the regular stuff is much less hassle. Petsmart sells avengers decor, if that's your brand of geek.

In other nerd news, all my fish have GoT or 40K names... so you're in good company XD
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #20 
rylovesriska

He is pretty!!
rylovesriska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first betta, first tank, flaring, nitrigen cycle