Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #1 
tumtum

Breeding Questions

Okay I think my Mom has finally decided to let me breed, I have 9 days left of school, and then summer when I will have all the time in the world to give to breeding. But, I still have alot of questions about the fry.

1. Do I need to feed the fry as soon as they hatch?

2. Do dried blood worms work for fry? (and do I need to cut them up)

3. How do you make sure every fry gets the food it needs?

4. Ive heard if you take tank water and put it into a jar, then put straw in and set in the sunlight, that it will develop microorganisms the fry can eat, is this true?

5. At what point do I remove the male?

6. How do you change the water with the fry in it?

7. How often should the fry be fed, and how much?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I know everthing before I try and breed.
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

I wouldn't feed dried foods to fry until they're 1.5-2months old. Its probably best to try to stay away from freeze dried foods as long as possible.

Changing water with fry in it is just like changing any other tank. Since you don't have gravel you don't need a gravel vac. Just dip the water out with a cup or bowl, making sure not to accidentally scoop out any fry. You'll want to avoid doing water changes while the fry are still really small. Having a sponge filter and cycling it prior to spawning would help.

Fry should be fed 2-3 times a day. Remove any uneaten food after feeding.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #3 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
Okay I think my Mom has finally decided to let me breed, I have 9 days left of school, and then summer when I will have all the time in the world to give to breeding. But, I still have alot of questions about the fry.

1. Do I need to feed the fry as soon as they hatch?
Usually people feed them 2-3 days after they hatch, after their egg sack is used up.

2. Do dried blood worms work for fry? (and do I need to cut them up)
Nope. Fry will almost always refuse food that isn't live. The most popular choice is Freshly hatched Baby Brine shrimp (BBS)

3. How do you make sure every fry gets the food it needs?
There isn't really a way to make sure... it's survival of the fittest.

4. Ive heard if you take tank water and put it into a jar, then put straw in and set in the sunlight, that it will develop microorganisms the fry can eat, is this true? Infusoria? (Sp?) I'm not exactly sure, I'll let someone else handle that. But I do know if you have all live plants in your spawning tank the smaller fry can feed off of that.

5. At what point do I remove the male?
Once the fry become free swimming. 3 days after hatching usually.

6. How do you change the water with the fry in it?
Veeeery carefully. Make a syphon with airline tubing (just suck on one end to get it started) and syphon out any waste/dead fry.

7. How often should the fry be fed, and how much? Fry should be fed multiple times a day. (3-5 times a day) and how much depends on how many fry you have.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I know everthing before I try and breed.
Start at these websites:

bettatalk.com
bettysplendens.com
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #4 
tumtum

Thanks and where could I find the shrimp? Also the first site talked about how you should never breed VTs, but that is exactly what I plan too do, as not only do I like VTs, but I am not planning on selling them, Im giving them away to family, friends, and keeping some for myself.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #5 
doggyhog

Usually you have to order them online, but my LFS carries them. Just ask for brine shrimp eggs.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

The only reason that many people do not like to breed VT is because there is such an abundance of them in pet stores. There is no category for VT in the IBC so its not like you can really show them. VT are asymmetrical fish so it is hard to make a standard for them. As long as you can provide good homes for all your fish and know that they will never end up in a vase or a pet store there is no reason not to breed VT. Just don't expect a lot of praise for "serious breeders" (in other words IBC affiliated breeders) because in show circles VT are considered "mutts".

IMO as long as you are responsible for your stock and where your fry are homed I see no problem breeding VT. I just hope you have that many friends and family that you would be able to home 50+ fish.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #7 
tumtum

Ok, in the breeding tank should there be any gravel? and should the tank have plants or not?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

most people don't use gravel. The bare bottom helps the male to see fallen eggs and it helps you to keep the tank really clean.

Plants are a must, whether you use live or silk you should have lots of plants in the tank for the female to hide in during spawning and the fry to hide in while they're growing.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #9 
tumtum

Thanks and would it be a good idea to put the plants in the corner opposite the bubble nest? Also does the depth of the water need to be changed in any way?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think most breeders keep the water level at 6 inches.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote