Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

fungus or flex on chin!

I was looking at Jasper this morning and I noticed a small patch of would be fungus or flex under his chin
Now I was wondering if salt baths would help kill this or do i need med's
I read that flex thrives in warmer water and i have his water pretty warm now so i'll gradually turn the heater down

Any help would be apreciated
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #2 
JamieTron

is there a chance you could post a photo of the white stuff??? Sometimes bacterial and fungal infections look similar and it is easier to help diagnose with a photo :D
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

i could try to get u guys a photo when i get my camera back but honestly i don't think u can see it i myself have trouble seeing it cause it's so small and his chin is white-ish normaly
i just caught it early on i guess since it's not really developed and i can't really see what it is can i just give him salt baths and hope for the best
Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #4 
JamieTron

Yea I would go with the salt baths for now! couldn't hurt!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

ok update i finally got time to start my Jasper on his salt baths

i did my water changes and gave both my guy's a salt bath, in each new water of course

is it normal for a betta to freak out in their salt bath, Jasper was swimming weirdly, well he was just dragging his chin on the bottom of the hospital bowl, as if trying to make the salt work at killing the bug faster on his chin.
and then when his bath was over and i put him back in his tank, he froze and took time to recover in a dark corner behind the filter.

is this normal....
if i have to give him baths every day this week, i don't think he'll be able to take it...

i don't know if it matter's but please keep in mind that he's an older betta
so any sugestions would be accepted

thankx
Old 05-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #6 
JamieTron

Hrmmmm did you used aquarium salt? What concentration per gallon of water did you use? How long was the bath? Sometimes too much salt can make them d that you could lower the salt concentration for him if he is overly sensitive to it.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

yes sorry i have a full carton of API aquarium salt, i haven't given them baths in a while and forgot what i used to give them so i read the instructions, but didn't understand them but kindda remembered that i read on here that u use just half a teaspoon of salt per galon or something..
anyway's my bath bowl is the lil' dinky half galon thing http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753118 so i put half a teaspoon but i did notice it was a big half i put in
should i put a bit less tomorrow....
is this right, if i wanna cure him, i should bathe him everyday...

the carton say's a five min's bath
is this too long...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #8 
JamieTron

Hey I think you are correct 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I would put maybe and estimated 1/4 teaspoon in a half gallon that is what I have to do too with my 1/2 gallon. 5 minutes is okay would say that is a good amount of time, I wouldn't do it for any longer. However, I have read that if they do freak out perhaps shorter baths might be needed for them. You could do a bath once a day for a few days in a row then I would give a days break or so
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

hey thankx again for the help

just curious..say if he wasn't sick will it harm him if i still bathed him everyday, i heard that salt baths are supposed to cleanse and all so ...
if i bathed my two fish everyday will it harm them..or do they have to be sick before they get salt baths

he is sick (that was just a question)
while im here does anyone know what this is.. because he is pale u can see his ribs or vertical strips on his body, what is the stripes...
is he stressed...

it's the first time he freaked out like that in a salt bath and i think it will be the last, cause i think it was because of me and the fact that i put in alot of salt.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #10 
JamieTron

I honestly would say maybe if you want to do regular salt baths maybe once a week or every two weeks. I wouldn't case them unnecessary handling and stress when not really need. This is only my opinion. However my reason for this is physiology it is rough on the fish to be exposed to salt water often because their bodies are not set up to regulate in salt water. Thus it has to work harder when the fish is in salt water to put it simply.