Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #1 
newfishmom

Help treating wood?

Ok...so I am wanting to change my tanks and make them look more "natural" I went down to the ditch/creek and picked up some sticks/wood. How do I make it safe to put into my aquariums? I have read boiling or heating in the oven for 30 minutes or soaking in 10 parts water 1 part bleach for 12 hours, drain, do it again, drain, soak in dechlorinator for 2 hours, drain, soak in plain water 12 hours, let dry completly (days!) Anyone know? Sure hate to think it will take days to do this.
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Boiling it is the best thing. That way everything will be killed. It also helps with tannis.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #3 
newfishmom

How long do you boil?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I do a lot of collecting from nature to use in my aquariums. Even with boiling sometimes you will still get a fungus like growth (white/clear gel looking stuff) on the wood but I have found that is causes no problems as far as livestock are concerned and will resolve on it own in a week to ten days.

I try to find roots or hard wood- not just sticks or vines because the sticks/vines seem to degrade too fast, I use a stiff brush and scrub and a spoon to dig the soft spots out leaving nothing but hard wood, then I boil for 20 min, depending on if it is water logged or not I use it right away otherwise I put it in a bucket of water and let is soak until it sinks.
I never use bleach on wood

Rocks I collect- I scrub and boil for 20 min then use
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #5 
newfishmom

Thanks! I am outside now with my little dremmel tool, sanding down some ruff places. Also, took measurements and am trying to decide how to place it in the tank! I am kinda excited! nerd, I know
Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #6 
s3kshun62

How big of a tank, and how big are the pieces of wood? I just got some wood today and I boiled it for 10 minutes, and now I'm soaking it to get rid of some tanins.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Just make sure you know what kind of wood you have. Like OFL mentioned.. you need hardwoods. Trees like pine and cyprus that have lots of sap are going to mess up your tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote