Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #11 
tumtum

Ok I got some freezedried bloodworms and started conditioning, do they need more then 1 worm a day? Also during the carride home from getting my female she had horizontal bars which i assume meant shes scared, beacue they went away once she was set up in her tank, but I read on a page that that meant they were too young/submissive to mate, is that true? Again sorry for all the questions!
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

Horizontal bars are called "stress stripes." Many females get them and even some males. They have nothing to do with the female's ability to breed. When the female is ready to mate you will see vertical bars on her which indicate she's ready to breed.

I would feed 2 blood worms per meal and I would also try some other foods such as brine shrimp or daphnia.. just to mix it up well.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #13 
tumtum

Thanks, as recommended on betta talk, im going to get a microworm culture started sometime in the next few days to feed the fry. I think Ive got about everything I need besides a weaker filter.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
Ok, in the breeding tank should there be any gravel? and should the tank have plants or not?
i would not use gravel and also (live plants are the best)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #15 
kingbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
Thanks, as recommended on betta talk, im going to get a microworm culture started sometime in the next few days to feed the fry. I think Ive got about everything I need besides a weaker filter.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sponge-Filter-Di...item3357a21a05

also for fry food, i'm looking at giving this stuff a try...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ocean-Nutrition-...item2a054428ff
kingbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #16 
tumtum

Thanks! just ordered my culture of microworms off ebay, theyyl be here in 3-6 days. Does anyone else use microworms that could give me some tips?

and before i buy a filter, is a filter absolutely necessary?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #17 
tumtum

Ahhh! the male, Mario wont eat blood worms, only pellets! Is that going to be a problem since he wont be conditioned? Luckily I've been conditioning my other male Mickey as a backup and hes doing fine. Thing is Mario is red, and Mickey, the one in my avatar, is blue, while the female, Abigill is blue/turqoise, so if I breed Mickey, I wont get as much variety of colors, not to mention he is big compared to the Abigil ( Mario and her are closer in size), which is also a negative. So do i need to breed Mickey instead?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

IME-it is just as important if not more to have the female conditioned, she has the eggs and you want them healthy and strong and this can also decrease the number of fallers.
I conditions my breeders with live foods, guppy fry, mosquito larva, white worms, daphnia, seed shrimp, chopped red worms and my homemade food.
I don't feed or like microworms due to the bacteria that they sometimes can cause and then in turn the fry can be missing pectoral fins.

It is good to try and have the breeders as close to the same size as you can
IME-I have had success with breeders of either sex being larger or smaller than the other
I don't use filtration in my spawning tank but I sometimes will use a small sponge filter in the fry tank, but I also have heavy planted tanks
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #19 
tumtum

Thanks, Ill try Mario, but if he shows no interest, how long should I wait before i put Mickey in?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #20 
Zenandra
Banned

It's not wise to condition with freezedried foods! Freezedried foods can cause severe constipation and bloating and should only be fed as a snack! Condition with thawed frozen bloodworms and/or brineshrimp!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote