Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #11 
tahbi

Haha. xD Yeah, I don't know why the neon started doing it so suddenly. He did it the night I made a water change, so maybe he got stressed out and decided to start nipping at my betta?

But I also suspect it could've been my CAE. The tears in Orphan's tail are kind of big for a little neon to do unless the neon was really dedicated to eating my betta's tail off all night. D:

Sometimes the CAE would go after Orphan's tail when he would be swimming around. I never saw him bite or take any chunks of tail off though, but maybe that's what happened and when my neon noticed Orphan's tail was messed up he went and picked off it. I'm not sure if that happened though, but maybe a possibility.

After his tail heals up I'm going to reintroduce him to the tank with the neons and CAE and hope for the best.

Before: http://i40.tinypic.com/k05746.jpg
After: http://i41.tinypic.com/2vk0qqr.jpg
tahbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #12 
Mister Sparkle

I'd believe the CAE did it. They can get downright nasty when they get older. Perhaps the niche he fills would be better suited to a pair/trio of oto's?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Mister Sparkle.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #14 
tahbi

I'm not sure if the pet store near me has any otos. Last time I went they hadn't restocked with fish since the easter holidays.

But I do know they have cory catfish. Would three of those be okay if I get rid of the CAE? My tank is a 10 gallon, filtered, has two (will have three once I move my betta back) live plants, lots of hiding places, heated, and has 6 neons, possibly 3 cats after the CAE is gone, and eventually a betta after his fins heal up. Or would that be too many fish? I also noticed the CAE's color changed from when I first got him. He's much lighter now and lost that black stripe. Weird.

Oh, does anyone know if it would be safe to put wild-caught shrimp in with store fish? I live in Louisiana and have property that has a bayou and marsh behind it, so I (or my dad) probably could catch some shrimp since the pet store doesn't have any. The only problem is that they grow pretty big here and I've only ever seen store shrimp that stay extremely small. I really want some shrimp, so if I get rid of the CAE I want to hold off getting any other types of "cleaner" creatures until I know if I can't or can get shrimp.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #15 
Mister Sparkle

Yes, a 10G could handle that number of fish. You will need to keep up with water changes...50%/week ought to do it! What's your filtration like?

Edit: Oh, and the shrimp thing might be cool, but you definitely want to quarantine them for a significant amount of time and learn about them as much as you can...wild-caught creatures can bring all sorts of new things (bacteria, parasites, etc.) into your aquarium.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #16 
tahbi

Awesome, thanks! :) I'll definitely quarantine wild shrimp if I get any.

EDIT: Umm, filtration. Not sure, I'm at school right now. :P It seems to pick up stuff really well though and the current is very light because I made my own current-blocker.

Last edited by tahbi; 04-22-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #17 
tahbi

All Healed!

His tail is pretty much healed now. It has all its color and looks even prettier than it was before!

In a few days I'll add him back to the 10g and see if anything happens. If the neons decide to attack him again he'll have to live in his bowl until I get the 75g tank I plan on buying. :) Then he'll have a 10g all to himself. :P