Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #71 
summersea

Thanks for the advice Quinn! I hope they make it but if they for I will have learned my lesson. When I read the NPT thread OldFishLady's instructions said livestock could be added right away. I waited 4 days before getting these guys but am learning "right away" may not really work. I am going to do 50% water changes every other day with prime and adding Seachem Stability (bacterial additive) for the next 7 days to see if I can kick start the cycle for these little guys an so I can hopefully get a new Betta sooner. But I will wait on a new Betta until water params are stable. Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #72 
summersea

Phew what a busy snow day #16 (with a confirmed snow day #17 already called for tomorrow)! I am going to break the update into chunks since I can only post one pic per post from my phone.

Took a run to PetsMart and picked up some Root Tabs. My cabomba in Nero's tank really melted plus just put in some ludwigia (and I know the pygmy chain sword would also love a root tab). While there I talked myself into buying a java fern and moss ball for Nero's tank. Finally pulled out the last of his plastic plants. Now the only fake plants he has left are the one on the log and his tall silk plant in the way back that he likes to sleep on.

Here is hoping all the plants survive! I tied the java moss to a rock using cotton thread but - man - it is hard to get that thing to stay in place! I placed 2 root tabs broken into halves between the plants. I had read where people had problem with algae/cloudy water if too much was used so figure I would start small. Especially since I am still fighting the hair algae! Hopefully all these plants and the moss ball will help soak up extra nutrients and cut down on the algae growth.

Left pic is front view of Nero's tank now, right is a side view where you can see the java fern and chain sword better. The moss ball is in the other side. The bottom pic is Nero - glaring at me - again lol
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #73 
summersea

The shrimp are doing well! All 6 are still alive! Though I am beginning to think I may have all females - they have all turned darker red. Not that I am an expert but I am hoping I have at least 1 male since I want little shrimp babies!

I bought some Seachem Stability while I was out today an added the first dose to the NPT tank. I am hoping it will help the tank cycle faster so I don't lose all my shrimpies (who my nephew has named: Barney, Wilma, Pebbles, Fred, Bette, and Bambam lol). I am also going to do 50% water changes every other day for a while to keep the water parameters safe for the little guys. Fingers crossed for them!
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #74 
summersea

Also did water changes for Razz and the 10g today. So far everyone seems to be doing well. Artie has been pretty spunky (for him) recently. Blizzard's fins have definitely grown! I have attached a before and after treatment photo below. Definite signs of growth! I just hope he lets them fully grow back this time!

Still waiting on the 10g to cycle since I had to start over after medicating the tank. It seems to take forever! Ugh!
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #75 
summersea

One last entry for the night and I am done - promise!

I just had to include this pic of Blizzard and Artie that I took after doing their water change. Such grumpy faces! I love it!

My sister is bringing me her decent digital camera tomorrow so I can try to take better pics of my boys. If that happens expect a true picture spamming post tomorrow! Have a great night!
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #76 
summersea

Major Photo Update!!!

Well was going to post a series of pictures I took today but having issues uploading. Guess I will have to wait until tomorrow as I am not feeling well and not in the mood to figure it out...so guess I will see you all tomorrow!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #77 
summersea

Well – let’s try this again. Maybe third tries a charm. I attempted to upload pics this morning only to have it shut down right before I finished. Fingers crossed this time!

I borrowed my sister’s digital camera to take a few pics of the boys. Her camera was having a hard time focusing on them (especially Blizzard because he is white) and since it isn’t my camera I didn’t want to mess with the settings. Did manage to get a few nice pics so I will do a major update with them below:

#1 We’ll start with Razz. He is the most laid back of the bunch and as such was not impressed by my picture taking. I did manage to get this one nice picture – I love what the lighting did with his colors!

#2 & #3 Next up is Artie. He has been quite feisty ever since I started re-cycling the 10g (after medicating the whole tank). His colors have also popped – his pink is showing up better than ever. On top of that he is showing nice fin growth. Makes me happy!

#4 Because he is white, the camera had a really hard time focusing on Blizzard. However I did get a decent pic of his flare except the color is off as he is more white. You can see his fins have really started to grow back. I just hope he lets them grow all the way back in!

#5, 6 & 7 Nero was not overly cooperative on the picture front either. He is a quick mover but did get a couple shots. The first shows off his colors pretty well. He did flare for me once but the light was his backdrop so his colors didn’t come through that well. But you can really see how long his fins have gotten! And I had to add in the pic with him and the snail – I don’t think he minds the intrusion so much any more lol

#8 Next is the NPT tank. There has been definite signs of growth in the tank. The bacopa and the crypto wendtii are the only two plants show some signs of melting but both also show signs of growth so will see how that goes. I will do a comparison photo of first set up to a week later – probably tomorrow once I do another water change and fix the anubias (more on that in a sec)

#9 All 6 shrimp are still doing great! They have all brightened up and now I think I might have all females. Was hoping for at least one male so that I might see some baby shrimpies but, then again, I have no idea if I am right about the genders so maybe I will get babies anyway lol. The anubias in the picture is the plant giving me the most difficulty. You can see the yellow spots and the holes. I asked on the planted forum and was given the opinion that it is the transition from low light to such high light. Also, it could be a virus so it was suggested I take off all affected leaves. Plan on doing that in the morning but will miss the centerpiece look it gave the tank. Hope it grows back quick and healthy!

#10 It is a toss up between the wisteria and the sword as to which plant has given me the most growth but you can see definite signs of growth on the tops of the wisteria. They have also put down a lot of roots into the substrate – so yay!

#11 I have also learned that the name pygmy chain SWORD. One of the leaves literally knifed through a bacopa leaf! So strange! But these puppies are absolutely loving the miracle gro! Growing new leaves like crazy!!

Okay, I think that is enough for now. I am sure I missed something but can always add more later! You can also see all the algae problems I'm having in Nero and the 10g tank. Someday I will figure that out.

Here’s hoping everything works this time (darn internet problems…). Night all!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #78 
summersea

Finally trimmed my dying anubias leaves today when I did my water change. I miss the busy appearance as my center piece. Hopefully it grows back fairly quickly

Below I have posted a one week comparison pic. You can definitely tell the wisteria and chain swords have grown quite a bit. My dwarf lily has 5 new leaves so pretty excited about that. My hygro is showing a lot of new growth too. The bacopa and crypt wendtii are the two that are melting a but and showing little growth. Hopefully they take off eventually!

Ammonia levels are still a bit high (1-2ppm) so still doing every other day water changes for the shrimpies. So far so good on that front! One of them molted overnight so I am hoping that is a sign of growth and health. They are all over the tank and do a great job of breaking down any leaves that melt - particularly off the wendtii.

Well short post as I am heading to petco with my best friend. I am not - planning - on coming home with a new boy yet since my levels haven't stabilized yet. But...I do have a hospital tank...but would have to buy a Beyer so rather not spend the money unless the PERFECT boy is found. We shall see - have a great day!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #79 
lovee1795

Is that little gray spot on Blizzard's top fin natural or did something happen? (Either way I think it looks cute, lol.) And I love Nero's colors. I've always been a fan of blue and black together.
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #80 
summersea

Lovee- those are natural spots on Blizzard. He has the big black one on his top fin, a little dot in his tail fin, and a "smudge" on his bottom fin. He has always had them so I thought he might one day marble but they haven't changed appearance so I think the are just permanent "spots". Some times I call him "See Spot Swim" because of it lol

And thanks, I love how brilliantly blue Nero turned out too! He is definitely the pretty boy of the bunch lol

-------

Well went to petco but was unimpressed with their bettas. There was one EE that I kinda liked but he had a couple grey spots that made me think infection and I really don't have time for a project fishy right now (though it hurt me a little to leave him there).

However I did find out that in February 22 & 23 they are doing the "Amazin Aquatics Event" and will have 50% off all freshwater fish - including bettas! So I think I am going to wait because I can justify buying an EE that way ...I just hope they have a nice selection for the event!

On a tank front - gah!! Baby snails EVERYWHERE in the NPT!!! I did a bleach diluted treatment on all plants but the one sprig of cabomba that the shrimp rode home on. Grrrr - apparently that one sprig was enough. I am tryin to suck them out whenever I see them but there are so many I am bound to miss some. If they start eating my plants I am going to be one unhappy camper. Those plants aren't cheap!

Well not much else to report other than Nero made me another bubble nest! Yay! So I will leave it at that for the day!
Attached Images