Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #1181 
LittleBettaFish

Trust me, wilds are just so much more rewarding than splendens. Not only do I love watching my fish, but I also feel like I am doing something worthwhile because of their fragile status in the wild.

I love splendens and always look at Jodi-Lea's new videos whenever she posts them, but I found them to be heartbreaker fish. Just when I'd get attached to them, something would go wrong and they'd die.

Sorry to hear about the red female. It's hard when you have to make that decision. Even when it is for the best it doesn't make it any easier.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #1182 
Chesh

Ahhh, Red. So sorry about your girl. If anyone could get her through, it'd be you *hugs*

Any updates on the channoides and their wiggly ways? I've been lurking about in silence for a while, but I'm 100% in love with those fish, am very much looking forward to keeping them one day - thanks for sharing your experiences with them for all of us lurkers! I hope they breed for you! <3
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #1183 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

LBF... You really are a big influence on me. I saw how you went from all (or mostly?) splendens to all wilds and love looking at your pics. I completely agree that splendens are the most inconvenient and awful fish when it comes to dying- this red girl gets me set on having spawns from her, refuses to breed twice, then goes and gets sick with some sort of bizarre disease.

Chesh, thank you! I've seen you lurkin :p. The channoides are great, the male colored up to a very vibrant red and stayed that way, as opposed to the fluctuating between washed out and super dark he did the first week. No babies or spawning yet, but I'm optimistic. If you lived up here I would definitely send a pair your way first if I got them to breed :).

The red girl got a fairly extreme bath in a high dose of kanaplex, aquarium salt, and methylene blue yesterday. Hated every minute of it but I know that she's going to die if I don't do anything so I thought I might as well try. I think it helped with her external issues, but she is behaving even worse today. I'll put her down today or tomorrow save a remarkable recovery.

And the red girl dying means cleaning out the 20g. Excited for it to be done but not excited to do it haha.

There's two ten gallons for 15$ each on kijiji right now and they're close to me... So...

Last edited by MattsBettas; 02-08-2014 at 01:01 PM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #1184 
logisticsguy

Im cheering for your Red girl Matt. You really gave her every chance with the mb and kanaplex bath. If that doesn't help I don't know what could. I am with you on the frustrating nature of keeping splendens. When fish kept in optimum conditions and fed the best foods get sick, it can really be hard to stay optimistic. I have a theory that is maybe best detailed in a PM. I really like the look of the channoides and if you get a spawn would like to be on the list of buyers. Im hoping to get a very pure B. mahachaiensis group from my friend in samut sakhon province. They are not common even there and pollution combined with development has left them in some trouble. Plus they are pretty cool and unique fish.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #1185 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Shoot me he PM if you want, I would love to hear it. I hope you get the mahachaiensis- I'll definitely be wanting some :).

I had to go out for a few hours and the girl died. Got home and she was leaning up against some plants, eyes still clear and no snails on her- the only telltale sign that she was dead was that gill movement has ceased. I'm pretty upset about it, but to tell the truth I'm happy she went naturally. *sighs* Time to do the 20.

She's helping solidify the decision to move away from splendens...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #1186 
Chesh

*hugs*
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #1187 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Guys the channoides are breeding! More updates to come later but it's to beautiful to not watch haha. Of course they're doing it in the most impossible place to take pics, but still, breeding!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #1188 
logisticsguy

Yay that is fantastic Matt. Very exciting.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #1189 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Male swallowed today. Not surprised but a bit disappointed. Really though, I'm still looking at it as a win- they are happy enough to breed!

So I got those two ten gallons... I put my self cloning crayfish (I never talk about her but she's still doing great) into one and the other is unused but tanks never go unused for long haha. The crayfish is loving it, it's a step up from the tub she had and has substrate and a better filter too. I'm hoping she'll berry and give me baby crayfish, but never any guarantees. I've had her for almost a year now, after a petstore employee was convincing enough to get us to get one for my brother's 20g. "It won't eat your fish," she said. "It won't eat your plants," she said. Lies. So I took her out of my brother's tank and threw her in a plastic tub. Then I started to kinda like her haha.

I'm officially at the point where I have actual tanks on the floor... Just realized that.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 02-13-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #1190 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I'm officially at the point where I have actual tanks on the floor... Just realized that.
Welcome to the club Matt! lol, I'm not only using my floor (well...I was) but also my small piano bench which is perfect for my 5.5 gallon haha.

Sucks about the male but you're right! Glad they are happy!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote