Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #1 
flowerprince

Unhappy fins are deteriorating and I dont know what to do:(

I got this fishy about 3 months ago. He's very energetic!! Almost a bit too much, because he's constantly flaring at his reflection. I even keep the lights in his aquarium turned off, but he still continues to flare!

The deterioration of his fins started with two small pinholes. I read some things online that said it could be from his flaring, so I didn't bother too much with it. A little less than a month ago I noticed his fins looked really tattered! So I picked up some aquarium salt.

I know I should probably put him in quarantine.. I really want to avoid it though, because the smaller tank I have is .5 gallons and would be really hard to heat.

This morning when I came home from a sleepover I noticed his fins looked REALLY BAD. They now have a split, and they've become so short!!! I'll try to get a picture for you guys :'(

Is this because he's flaring so much?? Or is it fin rot??? I'm really not sure what to do....

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 25 degrees Celsius
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one micro pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once in the morning and once before bed, i feed him about 6 pellets each time.. i take a break on sundays though

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week...
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 50% I would say
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nothing as of now
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

(i havent picked up a water testing kit, I've seen some in the pet store but my parents always make me feel guilty about buying them; they think i'm "trying too hard" because he's "only a fish" .. so i havent bought one yet..)

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His color seems almost a little duller, and there id a huge split down the middle of his tail; it used to be quite circular!
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really, he's far less shy than he was when I first got him
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few weeks after I got him I noticed the pinholes, but it was fairly recently when I noticed his fins were actually tearing & kind of deteriorating
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've been adding aquarium salt to his tank for a few weeks
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, I only got him a few months ago..
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, I got him almost exactly 3 months ago though!
flowerprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Something you can do to calm down a flarey fish is to back the walls of his tank with light colored paper (dark just makes the reflection stronger) and to keep his tank light of a lower wattage than the light in the room. Never leave his light on if the room is dim.

My boy used to flare at his glass heater but I managed to curb him by wrapping the top bit of it (not the heating bulb) in a small length of fishnet stocking. By the time i ran out of stocking he wasnt flaring anymore.

As to fixing his torn fins, what he needs is just clean warm water and he will do the rest on his own.
Are we able to see a picture of the damage?
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #3 
flowerprince

Thank you so much!! I do have a backdrop in his tank, and I would say it's pretty light :) It's half light grey and half dark grey/green (here's a picture!! it's actually way lighter in person, my room has white walls and the grey isn't much darker: http://www.aquariumswest.com/aquariu...i_bg_11796.gif )

Should I change it?? or line the other sides of his tank??

And also he seems to flare at his reflection, in one particular corner. He'll stare at the right side of the tank (surprisingly, the side that doesnt have his heater & thermometer on it) and he'll just stay there and flare :/ sometimes he'll turn around and look at the thing that connects the filter to the tank (its a hanging filter) so maybe it has something to do with that..??

I also never turn on the lights in his tank anymore :) he HAS seemed to flare less since that (i did it around 2 months ago) but I still see him flaring sometimes :( he probably does it while I'm away too, because usually when he sees me he'll swim at the glass & beg for food :P

And ok!! I might turn up the heater a little bit :) And yeah, I took some pictures earlier:

http://www.aquariumswest.com/aquariu...i_bg_11796.gif

I do have some before pictures but they're all on my laptop :( but basically his tail used to be a whole. it doesn't look like it shrinked at all but I could be wrong (maybe I should try and pull up some pictures of how he looked when I first got him?)

but thank you so much for the help!! :)
Old 02-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #4 
flowerprince

OH OOPS i forgot I had the backdrop pic in my copy & paste thing, oops!! Here are the fin pictures:

http://postimg.org/image/grwszjmwp/

http://postimg.org/image/gx03pudab/

http://postimg.org/image/4vh1mck09/
Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

oh dear the grey around the holes doesnt look friendly..its possible he may have flared so hard he got rot..or he is undergoing a color change.

if he is favoring a corner it means either he has gotten used to 'seeing' the other fish over there or theres something that lets him see himself clearer, say a dark piece of furniture hes using as a backdrop.

Do the ragged ends look fuzzy on their ends or possibly burnt around their edges?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #6 
flowerprince

It's hard to tell if it's rot or not, because he had a blue spot on the end of his tail :) It doesn't look like there is any fuzz, but the ends of his fins definitely seem to be kind of transparent :( As for looking burnt, there is a pinkish-reddish streak on his tail that doesn't look familiar (I could be wrong, but I do remember him having a big blue circle at the end of his tail, with a few blue spots)

I shined a flashlight on him, and the ends are indeed very transparent & thin looking. I've also heard of a gold dust... and he seems kinda gold-ish?? I wonder if I can get a pic... there is definitely a gold shine around his face. The same thing happened with my other pale fish (the one in my profile pic! he jumped out of the tank one night, poor boy :'( ) so I'm not sure if it's really anything. It always looked like my old fish had gold colored scales though, kinda like little freckles?

Another thing he does sometimes is that he swims behind the thermometer. I'm not sure if his scales feel irritated or if he's just bored

But yeah! I'm beginning to wonder about the fin rot, because I'm not sure if flaring often would really cause the tips of his fins to become transparent
Old 02-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Thermometres are a common hide for bettas, the water is nice and warm, the glass rod keeps them straight so they just snooze away.

If you dont see him flashing aka rubbing or running into things then it may not be ich, his normal iridescence may be simply a bit gold. If you feel the spot is likely just his color then sighs of relief all round and I cant wait to see it when the tail is all finished growing.

Also the transparent finnage is new growth which is great news, youll see the bits of fin extend or knit back together clear/white and then fill in later on with color.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #8 
flowerprince

!!! YAAAY!!! That's such a releif :) Yeah, I thought it might just be his coloring but I just wanted to be sure it wasn't anything bad. I'll keep an eye on that, but it should be fine!

I'll be sure to post pictures when he's all done growing back !! :) :)

Tags
fin rot, flaring, need help, pinhole, sick betta