Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #121 
lovee1795

The pineapple issue was definitely the Penn Plax version of it. The one I bought off of Amazon is actually Nickelodeon brand. As I said before, it is identical to the Penn Plax one, same placement of windows and everything but the different brands is obvious just by looking at them. The Nickelodeon one is just completely made better in anyway. So if you want the pineapple, get it, just make sure it is not the Penn Plax brand.
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #122 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I can also put forward a good safe decorative option for items are the ceramic oil and candle burners dollar stores sell, they are smooth glazed and so cant tear, rip or leech paint.
Also they come in so many varieties! I have three boys and I currently have a teapot a small japanese clay pot and a giant white bowl that really pops next to the plants.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #123 
gracierat

Taeanna, those sound interesting! Do you have photos you can post of them set up in your tanks? I would love to see them!
gracierat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #124 
LadyNightraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCheeksMum View Post
This is a great idea to have this list, I would have added this sooner if I knew it was here.
Paint peals off this betta log after a few weeks....

I took this picture when I noticed it and sure enough it was all threw the rocks when I cleaned the tank right after snapping this picture. And it was to late for Vincent :(

Ugh. I bought that log from Amazon and am waiting for it to arrive. Now I'm kind of afraid to use it when it does get here.

I'm so sorry for the loss of Vincent. He was a beautiful fish.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #125 
LadyNightraven

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to add that I had this beehive decoration from Petsmart when I first set up Rakki's tank. It was cute, really added some color to the tank, and I loved how smooth it was. Unfortunately, the paint started to bubble after a few weeks. I ended up removing it and tossing it in the trash. Thankfully, Rakki was perfectly fine. I felt a little bad taking it out because he really loved the thing, but I didn't want to take any chances.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #126 
SweetCheeksMum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNightraven View Post
Ugh. I bought that log from Amazon and am waiting for it to arrive. Now I'm kind of afraid to use it when it does get here.

I'm so sorry for the loss of Vincent. He was a beautiful fish.
Vincents was from Amazon too :(
SweetCheeksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #127 
loveaBetta

Decore

I got couple halloween and xmas a dragon and grome decore from petsmart after being in tank the paint peels off
'
loveaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #128 
Cari

I owe this thread a huge thank-you...

I had two betta leaf hammocks in my tank...one had the wire and one didn't, the one with the wire was starting to rust and I hadn't even noticed it. I threw it out. Who knows what harm that could have done.

I also had the plant on the left:

I took out the wire just now. Wasn't rusted, thank goodness. I put the plant back together just fine without it, which leaves me to wonder...why do these companies even bother to use wire when the plant works just fine without it? unless your betta is a huge monster and insists on ramming into it, the plant doesn't need a wire in it to stay stable.

Now after reading this thread, I'm really worried about two of the new decorations I bought for Flareon...the pink trees here. I haven't noticed anything yet, and the stems of the flowers(?) don't have any wire, and Flareon seems to like swimming on top of them and his fins look fine...but I guess I will have to check for any paint peeling.

Cari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #129 
Alyssum

Cari: I have the red version of that plant. How did you go about removing the wire? I inspected it and I couldn't see any exposed wire and it was sealed with glue at the bottom on all sides. Is it really that unsafe if it's sealed in plastic and glue? It is a bit annoying that they put this stuff in without regards to actual safety of the animals. Thankfully, the decorations I bought don't smell even though are from petsmart. I have this thing from top fin that I got on sale:

It seems alright so far. I've had it in the tank for about 3 weeks and I haven't noticed any chips or anything. It doesn't have any paint smell, though I've read the paint will come off if you have a pleco, but I don't think I'll have to worry about that. I wonder how many of the thousands of these decorations that are sold lead to fish death?

Last edited by Alyssum; 02-13-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Alyssum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #130 
Cari

Alyssum, mine was sealed too, but I took the wire out anyway just to be safe, I didn't want to chance it. Here is how I did it (going by the colors of mine)...

1. Pull out the bulb thing in the very center that is holding all the individual leafs in place
2. Pull off all the leaves including dark green at the very bottom
3. Push out the stem/wire + hot glue from the base by pushing something through the bottom hole (I used a round chopstick), making sure the hot glue inside the hole doesn't separate from the green stem
3. Once the stem is out, there should be a chunk of hot glue still at the bottom, don't remove since that's necessary for putting the plant back together
4. Figure out which end of the stem the wire is already poking out of. For me it was both ends. If it isn't poking out just nip the top of the plastic carefully with some scissors.
5. By applying some pressure you should be able to wiggle/push/pull the wire out. I was able to press the bottom (hot glue area) onto my desk, pull down on the green plastic stem, and the wire started to poke further out of the top, and then all I had to do was pull it out (using a paper towel for better grip). It will come out, you just have to try a few things and see what works.
6. Then just put the hot glue end of the stem back into the base (it should still fit snugly) and put the whole plant back together. It won't be as stiff as it was before, but it's just a plant, it's not a big deal unless like I said your betta is a giant and likes to ram into plants because it thinks its Godzilla or something
Cari is offline   Reply With Quote