Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #11 
Joey Fish

In tanks I cannot get enough of the black sand it looks so cool to me!
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 AM   #12 
Ramla

@relaxedcrazyman
Thanks! Good to know, they look pretty interesting, I shall definitely be checking them out.

@joey fish
I agree! I got some today at work and I can't wait to get things set up and all put together
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #13 
Bluewind

Totally agree with everyone about the live plants. They are awesome! Just make sure you have the right lights and a good fert ( I LOVE Flourish) and they will be fine.

I've had shrimp before and they are a blast to watch. Go for the healthier RCS (who will most likely reproduse and give you generations of the little guys) over ghosts (who are sold as food and normally don't live long enough to really reproduce) if possible.

I saw another thread where an ADF was suggested. Have you looked into that? Plus, a female betta isn't going to have the crazy finnage of a male which should keep the little guy from mistaking her tail as food as they have poor eyesight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #14 
Joey Fish

Whats RCS?
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #15 
relaxedcrazyman

RCS = red cherry shrimp

Have them in my 10g at home and they look awesome
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #16 
Ramla

@Bluewind
Was actually considering an ADF though I need to do some research before I get too attached to the idea.

How big do the RCS get? I know the one pet store may have them...though I don't think we have any at work, but I may be able to ask them to order some.

And yes! With this tank I hope I am really going to be able to get some live plants going since it has a few more lights and I was able to place it by a window with a good source of light which should really help the growth. My live plants aren't doing so hot in my other tank..likely because there is not a large amount of light, but enough to sustain some slow growth, and the marimo ball is doing fine and dandy. will need to get another for this tank.

But anyways yes, this tank is going to be more live with some silk to supplement.

@relaxedcrazyman
Awesome is a good way to describe them, there red backs are really awesome

And now for the first pics! I got the preliminary set up started, everything has been rinsed and put together, and sand has been put in.

Now am just waiting for the sand to settle, I am assuming that after a while the stuff on top will settle to the bottom and all the air bubbles on the bottom will dissipate? Newbie with the sand, so not sure if there is anything else I should do, I've stirred it up a bit to get some of the air out, but figured now I should play the waiting game.

But once the sand settles I can put some of the rocks in and start the filter, which not sure how much I like it, rather bulky, may have to invest in another marina slim filter down the road.

But that's all for now..figured I'd end this post with a pic of Puck my current Betta

Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #17 
Bluewind

Cute! Lookin good hun

From what I remember, RCS get about the same size as ghosts or maybe a little smaller. But the great thing is they have a tiny bio footprint. Just make sure you have a young well fed betta and plenty of hiding places to keep her from making them an in between meal snack. Also, you can make a floating hangout for the betta by getting a fake plant patch that is normally burried in the bottom front of the tank, flipping it over so the leaves face down, putting zip ties on the corners, and hooking it in the cord entrance holes. Works very well.

My betta was raised with ghosts (couldn't get RCS here so I would have to just occasionally restock) so he never bothered them save for when one died. He would rarely even eat it then. The other shrimp were more likely to clean up. Shrimp play together and mine were fed well, but when one of them died, they just look at it like meat. I kept about 2 dozen in my 10 gal with my betta and my levels were always fine.

Natural sun is cool, but a good lightbulb made for plants is worth it. Not only for the plants, but astetics as well.

Did you rinse the sand well before adding it? Did you skim the stuff floating? Did you turn on the filter a few hours after you added the sand? If no, then you should. The bubbles is just the CO2 escaping from the water. It will go away in about one to three days. You will have to rinse the filter a day after running because of the fine sand it will pick up. It will help it keep from getting gunked up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #18 
relaxedcrazyman

you should def get a 6500k bulb. 6500k is the color temperature and it is the best suited for freshwater tanks and the plants that grow in them. make sure when you change the bulb you get as close to equal wattage, if you go higher, it will cause your hood to burnout.

and be careful with the tank and sunlight as it can sometimes cause algae to grow very quickly. just food for thought.
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #19 
Ramla

@BlueWind
I did all of that except skim the top, I just let it sit and all the sand floating on top seemed to just be caught in the bubbles and eventually went back to the bottom. And good to know about rinsing the filter, I'll have to do that tomorrow likely. Quite a bit of it has dissipated already.

And yes ghost shrimp are pretty fun, but difficult to find once they are in your tank XD. I had one tiny one that I swear my betta had eaten and a weak later he popped up again. I had some in with the previous betta I had, but he slowly picked them off for food, so I didn't bother buying more.

@relaxedcrazyman
The hood for this tank has a built in led system of blue and white light. Which the blue shall be good for the plants, since besides red that is a big wavelength absorbed by them. So I will likely be sticking with that for now XD. Still need to buy other important stuff such as the heater and thermometer, and I am already using up more of my pay check than I should.

And good point about the algae, likely if that does become a problem, I'll look into a snail, we have a fair amount at work, so it won't be hard to come by. But I am definitely going to look into getting some RCS, the one pet shop sometimes has them, otherwise I may look into ordering some. I'd rather try them than ghost shrimp, they were alright in my experience.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #20 
Bluewind

The shrimp will actually do a better job at taking care of your algae than a snail believe it or not. Mine were little vacuums! And remember to get one single color of shrimp because if you get several (like yellow and red) they will cross breed and end up muddy looking. Also, keep an eye on here and look online for sales. Sometimes it's cheaper to get them like that (or at least you would most likely get better stock).

The cool thing about ghosts is that they change color to adapt to their surroundings and their food. One would be crazy hard to see too. They're social and without some buddies to hang with, they mostly hide. But again I would still go with RCS.

Also, get the shrimp first and when you decide on your little lady, let her hang out in something in the tank to where she can watch them, but not get to them for a little while (I use a large mason jar). Eventually, the shrimp should get curious and go check her out and they can get aquanted. It's also a perfect time to let her soak in some salt water or stresscoat if they need it. I like to pick up a bottle of betta water just for that sometimes as they really seem to enjoy and respond to it so it must feel good on their achy little bodies. And make sure everyone is fed before you add her (she may or may not be hungry but she should have the option) to cut down on predatory impulses.
Posted via Mobile Device