Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #1 
Beagle948

Special Needs Betta Tank Brainstorm.

So I have a Betta named Dragon, he started out with a horrible bacterial disease, that he has since recovered from, unfortunately it affected his swim bladder, and it seems that he is going to forever suffer from swim bladder disorder. He floats on his side all day. The tank I have him in for now is not shallow enough for him, and I'd like to design a tank that allows him to find places to rest, and places to anchor himself down some. But I am concerned about a tank with a light, because I don't want it to burn him while he floats. Any advice would be great! I'm hoping to plant this tank for him as well, if possible. :)
Beagle948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #2 
Rana

I have a special-needs girl who spends most her her time floating as well. Really the best thing is to provide lots of leafy plants that go right up to the surface, so he can wedge underneath them and stay underwater. I also have a few canvas mesh tubes and a broken pot that gives a nice big smooth surface to sleep under. Commercial caves are usually rough on the inside, which can be a problem for floaters.

LED or CFL lights don't get hot enough to cause damage, but Incandescent would and I don't know about the tube lights. Keeping the air warm and damp is a good idea, so I would get a solid top or use plastic wrap to make sure he doesn't get dried out- which can cause sores and lead to infection.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #3 
jsgossamer

I also have a betta with a swimming issue, but mine wiggles when he swims and floats strait to the bottom when he stops. Best thing I did for him is get him betta hammocks he can rest on. You just need to ad lots of plants and decorations for him
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote