Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #1 
alphabettagamma

Exclamation Help! Swollen pelvic fin area

So I've had Alpha for about 6 months; this morning, when I was about to feed him and noticed that the area around the heart (where the pelvic fin is attached to the body) was swollen and white. He had fin rot a while ago, could the AQ salt I've been using have anything to do with it? (picture is attached, at bottom)

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Appriximately 86 degrees Farhenheit
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, in the morning

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium Salt; 1 tsp

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The area where the pelvic fin connects to his body is swollen.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's been staying in place a lot more than he used to, although he swims fine when he has to. He still flares.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. About 4 weeks ago he had mild-ish fin rot, and I've been treating him with AQ salt.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know, but we bought him about 6 months ago.
Attached Images

alphabettagamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #2 
Rana

Looks like he just ate too much, honestly. That's where a betta's stomach is, and it expands when they eat. Stop using the aquarium salt, have you kept in the water for the past four weeks? It can damage kidneys with long term use, most people recommend no longer than 10-14 days max. The temp is also a bit high, bettas like it to be closer to 80*F; if your heater is adjustable, I'd lower it a bit.

Give him a day or two without feeding to see if the swelling goes down. Flakes especially can absorb a lot of water and swell in their stomachs, so try soaking them before feeding and/or spreading his food out into two smaller feedings. If he doesn't poo by tomorrow, you can add some epsom salt into his water or feed daphnia, since both are laxatives.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #3 
alphabettagamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Looks like he just ate too much, honestly. That's where a betta's stomach is, and it expands when they eat. Stop using the aquarium salt, have you kept in the water for the past four weeks? It can damage kidneys with long term use, most people recommend no longer than 10-14 days max. The temp is also a bit high, bettas like it to be closer to 80*F; if your heater is adjustable, I'd lower it a bit.

Give him a day or two without feeding to see if the swelling goes down. Flakes especially can absorb a lot of water and swell in their stomachs, so try soaking them before feeding and/or spreading his food out into two smaller feedings. If he doesn't poo by tomorrow, you can add some epsom salt into his water or feed daphnia, since both are laxatives.
Okay, thanks- I'll try that. As for the AQ salts, I've putting them in the tank every other week, so that should be fine (right?)
The temp is actually at 82 degrees, it was a typo (by the time I realized, it was too late to edit the post )
Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #4 
Rana

Personally I don't like using salt unless it's necessary, and from the looks of that photo he doesn't seem to have any fin rot. The ends might be raggedy because they're still growing in, or he may be biting them, but they look healthy to me. So I'd stop the salt altogether. If you decide to keep using it then yes, a one week break is much better than nothing. :3
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

AQ salt can cause water retention so I agree with Rana that its only necessary when your fish is sick. it also puts stress on their kidneys over prolonged use.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:04 AM   #6 
alphabettagamma

Unhappy

Welp... when I came home about 6 hours ago, there was a long piece of white poop stuck to him, and it still is :/ I would've written here earlier, but my internet was down. It's about the size of his pelvic fin currently, should I be worried?

Last edited by alphabettagamma; 02-12-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 AM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

White waste can indicate a stomach upset but it isnt something to immediately panic about. has the lump gone down at all since he began passing waste? is his attitude just as perky?

The first pass of waste may be different, wait and see if subsequent passes are still light colored - commonly if a person is constipated their first waste pass will be odd. I wont explain why because some people get wierded/grossed out.

If his waste continues to be white or glassy and the belly bulge doesnt start to shrink we can look into further causes
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote