Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #11 
Sabina88

That's good
Thank you for helping me figure it out.

What's the best way to do water changes in a 2 gallon and how often should I do them with out a filter?
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I remove half the water with a siphon, using it like a vacuum to clean the floor of the tank. You can use a length of flexible tubing. I refill the tank with temperature-matched, pre-conditioned water.

I do this once a week with a cycled 2.5g tank. If I were you, I'd do it at least twice a week, maybe more depending on how clean you keep the tank between changes.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #13 
Sabina88

I have a regulare size gravel vaccume that I use for my 40 and 50 gallon tanks,
Could I just use the tubing from that?
Although I think I tried it once but could'nt get it to start. How would I start the siphoning with the tube?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You could learn to suck-siphon (start the siphon by sucking on the tube). I think it's a skill all fishkeepers should know, whether you use it or use a pump.

If it's a siphon for a 40g tank, how big is the tubing. Anything much more than airline-size is going to empty a 2.5g really fast.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #15 
Flipmyfish

Well, idk about you Sabina but my Tetra W3i works perfectly fine, besides the current that is makes of course. All of the water goes through the filter for me, Hallyx. So yeah...
Flipmyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Remove the cartridge while the 3i is running. You'll see that the water exits high in the back of the filter chamber, missing about 90% of the cartridge.

I know it doesn't filter, and I don't think I'd trust it to be able to maintain a healthy colony of nitrifying bacteria. Those are the two main things a filter is for.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #17 
jsgossamer

I have three tanks running on 3is and have been for over 6 months. Tanks are crystal clear and ammonia levels at 0. I do a 25 - 50% water change weekly. The work fine but are annoying as the connections loosen from the air pressure and the flow stops. I have to tighten everything at least once a week
jsgossamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Interesting. The 3i didn't work for me, and I've heard from others it didn't work for.

Maybe we should start a poll.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #19 
Kumo

I had that thing for awhile for my 5 gallon and honestly I hated it. My boyfriend got me a "quietflow" filter and I'm SOOO much happier with it. The best to "filter" the water in a 2.5 gallon is to just to daily water changes 20-25% (once a day). Be careful with what you put as substrate on the bottom, whenever I had gravel, it trapped SOOOO much gunk in it x_x
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #20 
Sabina88

I actually plan on getting sand for my substrate,
I'm not really a big fan of gravel either since it does trap a lot of gunk