Betta Fish Forum banner

Not good for me...

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  doggyhog 
#1 · (Edited)
i have a tank that has a male and female.... yeah i know breeding lol... but they have cohabitated for over a month now without issues. They bred last night... I see eggs in the bubble nest now.

Anyways my issue...I have to move this tank by the end of the month (to our new house)..... Will the eggs hatch before then so I can at least scoop out the fry??? And what will i need to feed them, or can I crush up beta food to a fine powder?

Also if they do hatch before that point, can I remove them from the father? I'm going to be removing the female today.

#7 ·
IME/O-Live food is best, infusoria and NHBBS for the first week after they are free swimming, they should hatch within 24-28h at water temp of 80F and be free swimming in another 3 days, best to remove the male once free swimming, get a culture of BBS going and some white worms.
I don't add non-live foods until they are 8-10 weeks depending on growth and development
Once you start adding food to the tank you need to make daily 50% water changes, poor water quality and nutrition are the number one killer of fry.

#8 ·
The fry will hatch within 24-48 hours. After hatching they will remain in a vertical state in the bubblenest eating their egg sacs. Daddy must remain with them still to catch and babies that fall and put them back in the nest. After 2-3 days after hatching the babies will become free swimming and thats when you can remove daddy.

You definitely want to feed live foods, microworms for the first week and then a mix of vinegar eels and bbs (baby brine shrimp) there after until about 3 months of age.

#13 ·
I agree with everyone on the live food.. I definitely have a bunch of books on bettas and all the breeding info in these supports that fry must have live food.

@alienbetta --you should be more tolerable and mature about people's comments on here. There's no reason to argue with someone who's only trying to help someone else. And besides, what tumtum said was correct. No worries!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.