Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #21 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Epsom salts is mild and you can start it to help relieve his SBD symptoms.

Keep in mind that antibiotics have a bad side- he now has little to no internal flora which leads to opportunistic infections. your baby has a very weak immune system and needs to be handled with kid gloves for a while.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #22 
campbellsusa

Taeanna... thanks for the encouragement. Back to the question about "how much" ES? Do I make a gallon (4 ltr) jug with 1 tsp per gallon, and use this solution... instead of his regular water... perhaps keep him in the little hospital container until he seems better? I'm just not sure how long he should stay in the little hospital container. Right now, he's in it with new water I filled the tank with last night, with Prime and API stress-zyme. He's the only fish I have, so QT is not the reason, it's so that he can get to the air more easily.
campbellsusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #23 
campbellsusa

I made another post in Bettafish Emergencies and Diseases with the above message, and a little more information. Photos are there too. FYI http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=349177
Old 02-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #24 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I always dose 3 tablespoons per 2 gallons of water myself but you can go higher or lower than that if you choose and personally I just add it to the regular water (I predissolve enough for the tank and pour it in).
If you feel you can keep up the cleaning needed for a smaller bowl then by all means do it- the lowered waterline means he wont stress so much to reach up for air
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #25 
campbellsusa

Perhaps you've seen my latest post(s), which indicate SBD... you were not online at the time, and I was concerned that he was failing fast, so I not only reposted here, but I started a new thread in the Emergency/disease section which also has pictures. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=349177
Epsom salts? He has never had a bloated belly before now. This is the first time.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #26 
campbellsusa

ES... Keeping up the cleaning, hospital container

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
I always dose 3 tablespoons per 2 gallons of water myself but you can go higher or lower than that if you choose and personally I just add it to the regular water (I predissolve enough for the tank and pour it in).
If you feel you can keep up the cleaning needed for a smaller bowl then by all means do it- the lowered waterline means he wont stress so much to reach up for air
This morning I have him in a little plastic container which is floating in the aquarium so it will keep warm consistently (not the original glass bowl which I had used last time).

Saving this little fellow is getting more and more complicated!