Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #1 
LadyNightraven

Is it okay to treat with aquarium salt in a recently-cycled 5-gallon tank?

It's looking like I'm going to have to treat Rakki because he is starting to develop fuzzy white stuff on his dorsal fin. I have a couple of questions though.

The last time he had this happen, he was still in his old 1-gallon bowl, unheated and unfiltered. We treated him with aquarium salt and did 100% water changes daily. Now he is in a 5-gallon tank with a filter and heater. Is it okay to treat him with the salt in his 5-gallon tank? How often should I change the water and how much water of the water should I change while treating him if he stays in the 5-gallon for the course of the treatment? Or should I put him in a different container for the treatment? I'd really prefer to keep him in his tank if at all possible because my only other option is his old 1-gallon bowl, and I can't possibly fit his heater (25w Hydor) in there. With the roller-coaster weather we've been having lately, I don't want him to be without a heater.

Just in case it would help, here's the completed questionnaire.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, New Life Spectrum Betta Formula pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? He gets two Omega One pellets in the morning, four NLS pellets at night, and a freeze-dried bloodworm once a week after his water change.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

This was at the last water change on Friday:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a small fuzzy white growth on his dorsal fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He sits on the bottom of the tank more often than he used to, but his appetite is still really good.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday (February 9).
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He's had occurrences of the white fuzz before, probably about four times, but this is the first time since moving him to the 5-gallon in December. It went away each time we treated with aquarium salt. We tried Maracyn 2 once, but we didn't see any improvement and ended up having to treat with aquarium salt anyway. Other than this and some fin-biting, he's been fine.
How old is your fish (approximately)? It's hard to say. I rescued him almost a year ago in April 2013 when someone left him behind in a rental house, and he was already an adult then. I suspect that he came from Walmart originally. So I'm going to guess maybe 2 years.

Last edited by LadyNightraven; 02-10-2014 at 09:26 PM.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would recommend treating him in a smaller hospital tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #3 
LadyNightraven

I guess that means I'll be looking for a cheap hospital tank that I can fit his heater in. I knew I should have done this sooner, like before it was needed, but I kept putting it off. Thanks for the reply.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote