Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS, live and frozen
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? on the sick tank 50% every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime, and he has Aquarium salt and jungle all cure right now, day 2

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I just set the tank up Saturday, tested his normal tank and parameters were

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Its a fully cycled 20 gallon with multiple other fish divided into sections. No other fish are showing any symptoms

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It hasn't, except when I took the pictures today I noticed his gill on the left side sticking out. Over the past two weeks I've noticed him "shedding" on the tips of his fins and sometimes head, but it isn't spreading nor growing and falls off if I move him.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? super lethargic- doesn't move except to eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, aquarium salt, general cure
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)?Ive had him since last december, so about 6 months. Aquabid purchase.

He isn't himself, eats normal but doesn't swim anymore. His poop is normal, cannot see any sign of parasites and his water condition has not changed. None of my other fish are showing any of this behavior and I have a full sorority in there. My question is about how to proceed. He is getting worse, not better. I HAVE noticed a tiny why thing hanging out of his gills and I saw once his poop white. Thinking internal parasites. What is the best way and medicine to treat with? I can pick it up tonight
Alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #2 
Alphahelix

He's also turning brown instead of black, and has lost all interest in eating :(
Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #3 
Taeanna
Reference Team

have you seen him puffing a lot or yawning exessively? is he coming up to get air more than usual?

Aslo when you say his tail is shedding, are holes mysteriously appearing in the ends or does it look like rot?
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #4 
Alphahelix

Yes I believe so. He seems to be working harder and stays RIGHT at the surface 24/7

His tail has white stuff shedding off (in SUPER tiny amounts) like not photographable. It doesn't spread and it might be slime coat, he hasn't lost any fin at all.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 AM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

this white stuff, is it fluffy looking or kind of airy/jelly like?

Also if you can get him to flare have a good look inside his gill and let us know what color it is. The gill itself should be a nice salmon color if normal and really red if it is hurt or torn.
try and see if theres anything in there that looks out of place like a lump or something. best to rule out parasites like gill flukes before we diagnose anything else
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #6 
Erin3

There are those medicated pellets for parasites, but my betta would just spit them out when I tried to feed them to him :(
Erin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #7 
Alphahelix

His gills are black like they have always been, though he seems to have relaxed in his breathing.

The white stuff looks like jelly- I thought Columnaris but upon closer examination I really don't think so. He isn't flashing at all either.

I did see a half white/half normal poop last night and I picked up a stronger parasite med. he is now on 100% daily water changes and has Epsom salts, methyl blue, parasite guard and all cure in his water. He ate today!!

In fact on the stronger meds he seems to be much improved. Any other suggestions? I'm ordering some IAL and kanaplex for future use
Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #8 
Taeanna
Reference Team

If the newer meds are showing improvements then i am truly happy for you both. For now just keep the regime up and the cleans and he should do fine.

IAL is a great booster for when it arrives though, when my boys are sick I brew a leaf in boiling water like a tea, let it cool and add it to the water to make it niiice and dark. It really seems to calm them down.