Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #1 
Tinthalas Tigris

"So what should I do Now?"

Well, it was a terrible thing, my last original betta I found white, and turned upside down, beneath his favorite apongeton in my 10 gallon tank. My little lesbian "butch" female as I referred to him. He didn't need a name. His personality was great enough. Suddenly deciding to sprout fins plenty of time into his life and blow bubble nests the very second he got herm's own bachelor pad.

It was a trying battle against Collomanus cotti I think that did him in. I think the medication I used was a little bit too powerful for them all, and between all 3 of my tanks, all of my original bettas that I started the hobby with started kicking the bucket, one by one. Including my Rasboras, which had previously been invincible to everything.

I guess that is just what happens sometimes. Your tank gets hit with a terrible disease and no matter how much patient care, or research, or careful feeding and water changes, sometimes you just lose.

My 28 gallon still have my 3 dalmation mollies, my 5 ghost shrimp, my 5 recently purchased female bettas, and all the flora that I've collected over the last half-year. It seems to be doing fine, aside from the occasional scuffle between mollies.

I have now my 10 gallon tank that housed "Butch" before he kicked the bucket, that houses only 1 ghost shrimp, and my oto.

Aside from the one death that occurred in it, there's nothing really the matter with this tank. Its lighting is magnificent, and plants thrive in it, and Otto loves the algae he gets from it, and I have no idea what that little ghost shrimp gets out of the deal, but he is also my longest living ghost shrimp.

I'm just wondering what I shoudl do with the tank? My wife wants me to move all my plants into my 28 gallon, along with the rest of the inhabitants. I like the idea, because I always wanted to make a micro reef tank with a midas Blenny, a clown fish, and a butterfly shrimp. SHE likes the idea, because she can get rid of one more tank from the kitchen.

So what do you folks think I should do? Another alternative aside from the above is that with the success I've had with plants in this tank, I could go all plants, buy some more Otos, and let it live on its own.

I would like to hear your opinoins, so I'm throwing at you guys :)
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #2 
Tinthalas Tigris

No opinions whatsoever?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I like the idea of a micro reef.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #4 
Sella

I think there is another betta that is waiting patiently in a cup for you.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #5 
beta novice

yeah i also think this dont give up on beta's
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #6 
Tinthalas Tigris

I have a sorority of beautiful young crowntail females in my 28gallon. I love betta personalities. I have not given up on them as a whole. I just don't want to devote a 10 gallon to a single male setup again. As much as I love coming home from work to a new bubble nest, their personalities in a sorority is just as enjoyable to me, minus the joy of a bubble nest being built once or twice a week by a male.

My main focus on that tank is it being planted, and I just love watching plants grow, and bettas lay on the leaves and underneath them, and follow ghost shrimp around.

I decided on the next 6 months to convert the 10 gallon into a mini reef tank. I have a baby on the way and have to put the majority of my finances together for the baby, so as I save a dollar here, and earn another wherever else with a number of side projects I have to supplement my income, I'll buy the powerhead, and marine salt, as well as other materials.

My project goal is to have it up and running (not stocked) for several months before christmas. My little christmas gift to myself will be the purchase of a midas blenny.

I'll miss the male that was housed in it.

For the time being, I have a bunch of little baby plantlets that came out of nowhere after digging out all the java moss. I believe they are all red ludwigia, but I might have even had a small culture of defiant mondo grass that grew up from a failed misunderstanding of the plant and its purchase back in january that seems to have come back.

We'll see. Thanks for posting on the thread guys. I greatly appreciate the attention :).
Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #7 
beta novice

no problem anything for a fellow beta lover
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote