Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #1 
Erin3

Dropsy: Safe to combine epsom, betta revive, and tetracycline?

Been battling dropsy for a little over a week. Switched from betta revive (had used that for 6 days) to tetracycline (3 days now). Been using about 3-4 teaspoons of epsom salt in my 2 gal bowl as well. My betta has lost his appetite since I switched to tetracycline. I don't know if that's a coincidence or his reaction to the med. Anyway, I'm thinking I want to switch back to betta revive, but I also don't want to just abruptly end the tetracycline. Would it be safe to combine all three? Maybe at smaller doses than the labels say?

FYI, I also have a heater, keeping the water temp at a constant 76 degrees, and have been doing 100% water changes every other day.

Last edited by Erin3; 02-11-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Erin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #2 
MyBettaJack

Erin, I just wanted to let you that when I used tetracycline in my tank ALL my fish lost their appetites. I think that's a pretty common side effect. Someone with more experience than me will have to chime in on the rest. So sorry you're going through all this......
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #3 
Erin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBettaJack View Post
Erin, I just wanted to let you that when I used tetracycline in my tank ALL my fish lost their appetites. I think that's a pretty common side effect. Someone with more experience than me will have to chime in on the rest. So sorry you're going through all this......
Oh interesting. Thanks! So did you do the full round of treatment and they got their appetite back?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #4 
MyBettaJack

Yes. I had a guppy that had some of the dropsy symptoms (ie. extreme bloating)although I don't believe it was a "true" case. He didn't have any pine-coning so I was having trouble diagnosing what was wrong. I assumed bacterial. Regardless, I had to treat the whole tank. I tried Epsom salt baths before finally reaching for the tetracycline. They all lost their appetites during treatment, but as soon as it was over....WHAM...they were ALL back to being total pigs! He has made a full recovery, and I still don't know what was wrong, but the tetracycline worked wonders.
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #5 
Erin3

Well, I just went about and experimented, after googling tetracycline and the antibiotic in Betta Revive. Sounds like there is an antibiotic that actually combines to two, so I figured what the heck. He did actually eat a few pellets last night, but wasn't hungry this morning.