Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #1 
Wondersoap

More newbie questions :P

So, I bought a 10 gallon tank set-up from petland and it came with some dechlorinator, called Nutrafin Aquaplus. On the instructions it says to use 5ml to get rid of chlorine and 10ml to get rid of chloramine. Since I need to get rid of both, should i use 10ml or 15ml?

Im getting my betta later this week, since when i bought the setup, the guy at petland gave me 10 "fishbucks" which is just 10 dollars i can only use in the fish department, it expires on friday, so Im getting him soon :D There was a beautiful CT i saw there today, he was in great health but I didnt want to get him and have him die on me before my tank was ready for him, hoping he's still there this week.

Also, would 3 cory cats and 1 betta be overstocking?
Wondersoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #2 
McAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondersoap View Post
So, I bought a 10 gallon tank set-up from petland and it came with some dechlorinator, called Nutrafin Aquaplus. On the instructions it says to use 5ml to get rid of chlorine and 10ml to get rid of chloramine. Since I need to get rid of both, should i use 10ml or 15ml?

Im getting my betta later this week, since when i bought the setup, the guy at petland gave me 10 "fishbucks" which is just 10 dollars i can only use in the fish department, it expires on friday, so Im getting him soon :D There was a beautiful CT i saw there today, he was in great health but I didnt want to get him and have him die on me before my tank was ready for him, hoping he's still there this week.

Also, would 3 cory cats and 1 betta be overstocking?
A) use 10ml
B) i'd say it's close to full capacity. While it's nice to be at the max cause we feel like we have the most out of it, I'd say go with less cause they'll mess up the tank less. Corys are really cool though, i love mine!
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #3 
Wondersoap

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAttack View Post
A) use 10ml
B) i'd say it's close to full capacity. While it's nice to be at the max cause we feel like we have the most out of it, I'd say go with less cause they'll mess up the tank less. Corys are really cool though, i love mine!
Yeah, I saw some corys and really liked them, I heard they like company though, so I dont want to make them lonley haha, are there anything besides rasboras that I could put in with it? Not a huge fan of the frogs and shrimp. Would a couple of Otos be okay?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #4 
MustardGas

I added my betta to my freshly-cycled tank and waited until I got the brown diatoms (a couple weeks) to add my otos. They go nuts for that stuff and I think it gives them a much better chance of survival versus introducing them to an algae-free tank. I got two otos from PetSmart and one from Fishworld and the little guy from fishworld didn't make it. He was really skinny and torn up when I bought him so I didn't expect him to live long.

So anyway, I find otos go great with my betta, and he's a mean boy ;)
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You are kinda limited with stocking a 10g sadly......

You could do 5-6 dwarf cory cats
A trio of livebearer like endlers, guppies, platy, the fry dropped every month would be enjoyed by the Betta or just get males
Mollies and swordtail would be too big
Otos-are social fish and do best in groups of at least 5-6 or more and in an aged planted aquarium to thrive.....

Fish that are meant to be kept in groups- will not drop dead if kept 1-2 in a tank, but they can feel stressed and in turn you can have health issues and then their health issues can affect the other fish, you also will not get to enjoy the more natural behaviors they can display when kept in groups of at least 5-6 or more the better
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #6 
Wondersoap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You are kinda limited with stocking a 10g sadly......

You could do 5-6 dwarf cory cats
A trio of livebearer like endlers, guppies, platy, the fry dropped every month would be enjoyed by the Betta or just get males
Mollies and swordtail would be too big
Otos-are social fish and do best in groups of at least 5-6 or more and in an aged planted aquarium to thrive.....

Fish that are meant to be kept in groups- will not drop dead if kept 1-2 in a tank, but they can feel stressed and in turn you can have health issues and then their health issues can affect the other fish, you also will not get to enjoy the more natural behaviors they can display when kept in groups of at least 5-6 or more the better

Ah, I think i will start off with 1 betta. For decorations ive read that a flower pot would make a good cave, would a terra-cotta pot be okay in the water?