Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #1 
BettaDude12

Unhappy My Betta won't eat?

Hi everyone! I'm a little worried about my betta because ever since I got him over the weekend he will eat little to no food! The day I got him I accidentally gave him an extra two pellets then he should have had, so I fasted him on Sunday, and he hasn't ate as much as he should be eating (2 pellets in morning, 3 at night) whether it's bloodworms or betta pellets. Please respond soon, I would hate for something to happen to my betta!
BettaDude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

It takes several months for a fish to starve to death, so no worries on that front.

Have you tested the water for ammonia? Stressed fish do not eat and if there is enough ammonia in the water poisoning it, lock jaw is almost assured.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #3 
BettaDude12

K thanks for the input. I will test the water, change it in a few days and keep monitoring how much he is eating. He might just be stressed from the trip to his new tank. Thank again!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

I assume this is a new tank? If so I would not wait to change the water. If it's already been a few days it's likely due for one right now.

If you can provide the specifics of your setup, that will allow people to provide you with the best possible advice.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #5 
Valentino14

Maybe he doesn't like the food! Not all bettas like bloodworms... and keep in mind that he very well may still be adjusting to his new fabulous home. If he is otherwise active, don't worry. Bettas can go weeks without eating. He will eat when he is hungry. Or call the pet store and ask what they feed their fish. If he isn't used to pellets or bloodworms, he may be confused.
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #6 
G26okie

Is he just not going after the food? Or is he eating it and then spiting it out. If its the latter, the pellets might be too big for him.
G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #7 
BettaDude12

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26okie View Post
Is he just not going after the food? Or is he eating it and then spiting it out. If its the latter, the pellets might be too big for him.
He just won't eat the food and I'm not sure why...
Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #8 
BettaDude12

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say that you guys don't need to worry about answering this thread anymore, I solved the problem. I guess ken'ichi (my betta) just wasn't seeing the food go in, so I just have to take the cover off and wait for him to come for air but thanks for all your help!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #9 
G26okie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaDude12 View Post
Hi everyone! I just wanted to say that you guys don't need to worry about answering this thread anymore, I solved the problem. I guess ken'ichi (my betta) just wasn't seeing the food go in, so I just have to take the cover off and wait for him to come for air but thanks for all your help!
Yeah, it will take him a few days to realize when/where the food comes from.

Mine was the same way, after about a week, he now swims up to the top in a hurry if I put my hands over the top of the tank.
G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote