Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #11 
jenniferfabian

I've found my water test page results from Petsmart.

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? : Yes, I have had it tested once at my local Petsmart. The results were perfect but I do not know where I put the result paper. I will look for it and edit this post if I find it.

Ammonia: 0 - Ideal
Nitrite: 0 - Safe
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2 - neutral
Hardness: 75 - soft
Alkalinity: 180 - Ideal
jenniferfabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #12 
jenniferfabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Just a comment on the water conditioner- why wouldn't you follow the directions on the bottle? They're there for a reason. Underdosing could be dangerous for your fish imo.
If you want a water conditioner you don't have to use a lot of, get Seachem Prime. The dosage is 2 drops per gallon; a bottle lasts forever.
The tank is a 2.5 gallon and the water conditioner says per 1 US gal (3.7 L) = to use 48 drops. I'm not good at math, so I just took away 8 drops. I should actually be putting less than 40 drops I think
Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #13 
fidget

If it's 48 drops per gallon, you should be putting 120 drops in 2.5 gallons.

48 x 2.5 = 120

You're using less than what you should be using, if that's what the directions say. :)

Last edited by fidget; 01-27-2014 at 06:07 PM.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #14 
fidget

120 drops is 6 ml, a lot of times the caps on the water conditioner bottles have marks for 1 ml and 5 ml so you can use the cap to measure your dose instead of counting drops- does that make sense? :)

You may want to consider switching to Seachem Prime. You would only have to use 5 drops for your whole tank and one bottle will last you sooo long.

Last edited by fidget; 01-27-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 AM   #15 
jenniferfabian

Quote:
120 drops is 6 ml, a lot of times the caps on the water conditioner bottles have marks for 1 ml and 5 ml so you can use the cap to measure your dose instead of counting drops- does that make sense? :)

You may want to consider switching to Seachem Prime. You would only have to use 5 drops for your whole tank and one bottle will last you sooo long.
Wow, I'm a horrible owner D: I've been using far too little conditioner then. I think i'll just go out and get this Seachem Prime b/c well, i'm an idiot...thanks for your help, fidget!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:48 AM   #16 
fidget

No problem! You're not an idiot! Everyone makes mistakes- and the dose on that water conditioner is huge. If you kept using it, you'd have to buy new bottles alllllll the time.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #17 
Aus

Salt won't help the fungus much.. API General cure is a good bet for true fungus as well as bacterial issues.

Yes! I agree about the Prime. You use little and it lasts a looong time. best stuff ever, I will use nothing else.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #18 
jenniferfabian

Quote:
No problem! You're not an idiot! Everyone makes mistakes- and the dose on that water conditioner is huge. If you kept using it, you'd have to buy new bottles alllllll the time.
Your'e right! Since getting the dose right and doing 3 changes, I'm almost out D:
I have to find a new cleaner. My PetSmart doesn't really have much so I may have to find a different store with Fish supplies. It seems that they only have a few brands with the same kind of requirements.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #19 
jenniferfabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Salt won't help the fungus much.. API General cure is a good bet for true fungus as well as bacterial issues.

Yes! I agree about the Prime. You use little and it lasts a looong time. best stuff ever, I will use nothing else.
Your'e right, it didn't. I used it 4 times, doing a 100% change every other day over the course of 7 days. It didn't wield any results. I did another 100% change 5 days ago (Friday Feb 7th) and went to talk to the PetSmart employee again. He told me to try out Bettafix by API, because that is what they use on their bettas if they get sick.

The bottle reads as follows.

Benefits: A safe, all natural treatment for bacterial infections in Bettas. Heals open wounds and tissue damaged by handling and netting.

Directions: Add 9 drops per pint (473 ml), 18 drops per quart (946 ml) or 1/2 teaspoonful (2.5 ml) per U.S. gallon (3.8 L)of water. Repeat dose for up to 7 days, and then make a water change. Treatment may be repeated, if necessary.

I'd like to add that I never handle or net Cheech. I just use a cup he swims into and waits in while I change water. So far the treatment is going well! The lump of white on his face is seemingly breaking away. It looks so much better already. Again, I am choosing to use less than told. I currently use a little less than 1/2 a teaspoon. I use 20 drops every night and it is working.

I'm not sure - should I use more than 20 drops? I just don't want to potentially damage him :(
Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #20 
jenniferfabian

Quote:

I went to every pet store in my city and didn't find any medication other than Betta Fix. I tried it for a week and it didn't work. I actually went a city over to a place called "Big Al's" and found Seachem Prime water conditioner! The girl I talked to also gave me a bottle of Seachem KanaPlex marine & fresh water medication.

I was told 3 water changes, one each day, using half a spoonful of the medication, then to do 3 days of nothing and report back to her. So far, good news; the spot on Cheech's face is receding. It is less bright white and less poofy looking but still there. She said it looks like just a cold sore, not ich or white water mold. The water condition was perfect as well so we are kind of just hoping it will go away.

Today is day 1/3 no medicine, then I go back with news to her and pics.

One strange thing though - it seems like he bit his tail. When I came home it was split and dangling, then later a tiny bit fell off. It looked bitten so I guess he's stressed. I sat with him all day and he didn't get at his tail though so this is strange. He seems fine today though (march 22).

Seachem water condition is so much easier to use - 4 drops for my 8 litre tank.

Tags
disease, help betta fish, ick, please help me, sick betta