Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #1 
Mumble24

Please help! New betta dying!

About eight days ago I got a new betta. I am very very new to owning fish (this guy is my first) and took his active behavior in the store as a good sign. However upon getting him home and moved into his tank I realized that he was actually flashing. I did not and still do not see any visual signs of either ick or velvet so I began treating him with aquarium salt. After about three days of that when he showed no improvement and managed to scratch off a scale I emptied his tank so he could not hurt himself and began to treat with API Super Ick Cure. After a day of this he began to perk up, stopped flashing, finally ate, and pooped. I was sure that he was going to pull through and finally be the happy betta I had wanted. Last night I added the second dose of Super Ick Cure even though he looked improved I had read that stopping it early could make the parasites worse. When I woke up this morning he had turned a slight teal hue (he was silver to begin with) and was laying on the bottom of the tank only moving to come up to the surface for air. I am very worried about him and afraid that he might not make it through the next couple of days. I am very new to fish and hope that someone more experienced can help me.

Housing

What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I have trued feeding him betta pellets and bloodworms but he refuses to eat anything other than the flakes the pet store fed him which are not made for bettas
How often do you feed your betta fish? I try to feed him every night but he has only eaten twice since I got him

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, Stress Coat when he moved in

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
haven't had it tested but my roommate is using the same water I am and the same conditioner and she has had no problems with her betta
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? green tinge appeared last night
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? has been flashing violently and persistently since I got him, today he is not moving at all except to come to the surface to breathe
When did you start noticing the symptoms? as soon as I got him home
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? tried aquarium salt with no results then used API Super Ick Cure
Does your fish have any history of being ill? don't know, he is new
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know, I have had him for eight days
Mumble24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Why did you treat him with API Super Ick Cure? I guess... I'm confused about why you treated him. Flaring is normal, and its not unusual for Betta fish to go a week or so without eating when they first arrive home.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #3 
Mumble24

He was not flaring, he was scrubbing himself against all decor, gravel, and the sides of the tank. I started treating him when he began to have small white dots show between his scales. I apologize if I did not make that clear.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumble24 View Post
I did not and still do not see any visual signs of either ick or velvet so I began treating him with aquarium salt.
Sorry, I misread "flashing" as "flaring". What do you mean when you use the word "flashing"?

In the above quote you said he did not have any signs of ick.

Can you post a picture of your fish?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

A picture would be very handy because it allows us to look for markings on his body- many of the people here can spot a sick fish at twenty paces
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 on the above requests for a photo.

If you can't provide a good photo though: Ich resembles grains of sugar randomly scattered on the fish.

The easiest way to treat Ich is to raise the temperature to 86F. The higher temperature prevents the parasites from reproducing. Keep the temperature elevated for several days after you see the last of the white spots.... (There are some strains of ich which are heat-resistant. So if 86F doesn't get rid of them, you may need to raise the temperature to 87F.)

Here is a photo of a fish with Ich. Is this how your fish looks?

LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #7 
CosmoTheCutie

Could you post a picture? A teal hue could just be a sign of his coloring coming out my betta was all red but now he has a purple shine. Maybe lower the temperature in the petstore it's room temperature so gradually let him a just to warmer temperature. This could be why he's lying at the bottom he could be too hot. Don't panic I don't think he'll die. Best wishes!
CosmoTheCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #8 
Mumble24

This is him. Before I treated him with the medicine he had tiny little spots in between his scales that only showed up when I shown a flashlight on him. They pretty much disappeared after the first dose though.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #9 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I am on the fence of whether that is stress striping or just the angle of the shot...but it is good to see the spots have begun vanishing.

A betta changing color isnt always a sign something is wrong. A betta living in sup par conditions (for example a pet store cup) may be very pale or young and many new owners notice color changes when they are moved or grow a little more. A sick betta will go very pale or sometimes even a muddy brown color depending on their usual hue.

Also keep in mind a fish that has been obscenely itchy likely hasn't slept properly in a long time, many need a day or two to sleep it off. However if you see him puffing a lot or overly exhausted even after a rest he may be suffering from either a side effect or a different infection. That can be addressed as it happens.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #10 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumble24 View Post
This is him. Before I treated him with the medicine he had tiny little spots in between his scales that only showed up when I shown a flashlight on him. They pretty much disappeared after the first dose though.
Did they look gold or rust like?

You should always be able to see ick, it looks like salt. If you could only see it with a flashlight it was not ick.