Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #21 
a123andpoof

Okay, I will look into the moss. What kind of matinance is needed for the moss? I don't mind extra work, just want to know in case I get it.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #22 
Oldfishlady

The right type of lights are the most important for successful plants and lots of great low to mod plants to pick from too that do not need CO2.
Crypts, hygrophila, Bacopa, Ludwigia, Rotala, Naja grass, sags, vals, mexican oak leaf, swords- to name a few that will do well in 2wpg
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #23 
mfskarphedin

Just a note: if you're going to crank your heater way up for a fishless cycle, I wouldn't add the plants yet.

For heaters, you're not going to want more than 50 watts, and get one that's completely submersible. if you're allowed to order online, get an Ebo-Jager. Or Eheim Jager is what they're called now, I guess. Even with shipping, you'll probably pay the same as a less-reliable heater in a store.

As for other brands, all I've caught is to be cautious with Marineland Stealths, as they are reported to have a problem with overheating-failure, but I'm guessing the Visi-therm is still a good choice unless they've changed it. That's it, unfortunately, since brands have been changing, and I haven't kept up, because Ebo-Jagers last practically forever, and I haven't had to shop for a new heater in a long time.

For Tetra, they seem to have three different models of heater. You might ask on tropicalfishkeeping about your choices for them.

Java Moss only needs to be kept free of algae, which will clog up the super-fine leaves. But I'd recommend starting with a couple simple Java Ferns and going on from there.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #24 
nacho

I second the moss ball suggestion. It goes by several names - Japanese moss ball, marimo ball, Cladophora aegagropila - and can be found on ebay for the cheapest amount of $ (based on my very recent shopping experience). They are cute, unique, and I do not believe they require much care.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #25 
a123andpoof

Okay, Well I just got a tetra heater, and fake plants. I couldn't find any moss, and ran out of money haha and won't be able to get anything else for a while as my mom is complaining about the amount of money I have spent on fish though I am not sure what else I would buy with the money lol so I am going to hopefully start cycling today!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #26 
soleilvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Are you cycling with ammonia? I was planning on doing it that way.
How much ammonia would i want to put in the tank? And do I want to put it in right away?
Yep, I'm using ammonia. I only added about .5mL to my 5 gallon tank. That was enough to bring the ammonia level to 3-5ppm. So for your 10 gallon I would try 1mL. If you put too much in, just do a small water change to get the level right.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #27 
a123andpoof

Okay. Thanks. It might kinda hard for me to tell though since I only have to strips. Do I do it just till it says the ammonia is high? Oh and I was reading you have to put in ammonia like everyday? Do I need to do that? Or do I do it just once?
Also how often do I need to change the water when I start cycling? And how often should I check it? And at about what point can I take it to like petsmart to see how safe it is or whatever?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #28 
soleilvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Okay. Thanks. It might kinda hard for me to tell though since I only have to strips. Do I do it just till it says the ammonia is high? Oh and I was reading you have to put in ammonia like everyday? Do I need to do that? Or do I do it just once?
Also how often do I need to change the water when I start cycling? And how often should I check it? And at about what point can I take it to like petsmart to see how safe it is or whatever?
I'm not really familiar with the strips, sorry. Perhaps someone who has used them can chime in. It's unfortunate that the strips don't provide numerical readings. You don't want the ammonia too high. If it's too high, then it's too much for the bacteria to handle. You don't add ammonia everyday. You add an initial amount to get the level between 3-5. Until that amount decreases (when you have nitrites), then you need to add more. Eventually you'll get to a stage where the ammonia is completely processed in which case you need to add more to keep the bacteria thriving, to give them something to eat, basically. Fishless cycling requires no water changes. Only one, at the very end. When ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0, your nitrates will be very high, so a big water change will make those go down. I have been testing my water everyday. You could probably get away with every other day, but if you aren't testing often enough you won't know what's going on in your tank.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #29 
a123andpoof

Okay. Thank you. I hope to get the kit soon. I have a job at my parents apartments coming up in a few weeks. So for now its the strips. Its taking to long to get cycling started lol I ended up deciding to use my smaller filter, and got to get the things to put in it. So maybe next week. well hopefully I'll get the stuff this week, but may wait till monday or tuesday since we might go away for the weekend.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #30 
a123andpoof

Okay, so I added a little ammonia, and I realized on the strips it does have numbers. It was just slightly high it wasn't in like danger zone, but it was getting close. I'll post exact readings tomarrow. Do I wait, or should I add a little more ammonia.