Betta Fish Forum banner

Swim bladder?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  roadrunner 
#1 ·
I brought home a betta today who was floating to the side in his cup, his fins are wilted useless and his back has a crook in it.
I think it is swim bladder disease.
Right now he is in a 1/2 gallon water jug that I modified with aged water that has 1/2 tsp aquarium salt, water dechloranizer and a stresscoat with almond leaves.
I have the hydor 7.5 heater in there too.
I need to know the best way to treat this please help.

#2 ·
Hello there. I just finish treating my betta with SBD. I would suggest to fast him for few days first if his tummy seems round and swollen and see how that goes. You may give him cooked pea to help him poop (yes, the green peas they have in freezer section). Cook it and give him the centre part of pea. I have daphnia that I was feeding my betta. I was reading it works as a natural laxative for fish and it was really helping my fish to get "regular". I moved mine in 5 gal tank with heater, filter and air stone and I was doing 25% water change every 2-3 days and feeding him little bit at the time with high protein food and daphnia and then fasted him again. He is doing fine now. It took a while but he got better.
Remember fish stomach is only as big as his eye, so try not to overfeed him and I fast mine every wednesday (no food that day, no matter how much they beg) :eek:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.